Not on the Faculty Advising Community Listserv? Do you remember seeing something interesting that now you can’t find in your email? This page catalogues some of the interesting ideas, reference materials, and suggestions that have been shared on the listserv.
Favorite advising articles to use in faculty advising discussions (thread from January 2017)
- Faculty advising resources
- Allen, J. M. & Smith, C. L. (2008). Importance of, responsibility for, and satisfaction with academic advising: A faculty perspective. Journal of College Student Development, 49(5), 397-411.
- Nursing Education Perspectives, 30(4), 229-233.
- Journal of Developmental Education, 38(1), 20-24.
- Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice, 47(2), 175-195. DOI: 10.2202/1949-6605.6004.
- Social Indicators Research, 101, 155-172. DOI: 10.1007/s11205-010-9662-z.
- Journal of College Reading and Learning, 42(2), 90-108. DOI:
- Self-efficacy beliefs of former probationary students (Doctoral dissertation).
- Journal of Educational Psychology, 105(1), 129-137. DOI: 10.1037/a0028496.
- Journal of College Student Development, 51(3), 332-342. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1353/csd.0.0137
- NACADA Journal, 25(2), 65-73.
- About Campus, July-August, 8-12.
- NACADA Journal, 25(2), 20-29.
Resources for starting/revising faculty advisor training or certificate programs (thread from November 2017)
Advisor training and “Master Advisor” programs:
Online training/reference materials: