Norfolk State University (NSU), invites applicants for the position of Professional Academic Advisor (Multiple). The Professional Academic Advisor guides (primarily) juniors and seniors within schools and colleges, as they define, plan, and achieve their educational goals and career plans for graduation through the assimilation of information from a variety of sources; course selection; interpretation of academic rules, regulations, policies and procedures; and referral to appropriate services and resources. The advisor may also teach courses in a discipline or area offered by the University, and serve as a departmental or meta-major liaison with other university faculty. Provide helpful and timely academic advising and coaching services and other opportunities that facilitate students progress toward achieving their education goals.
1. Onboarding assigned students, including teaching them about deadlines, protocols, policies and procedures.
2. Helping students develop educational plans that meet their academic goals and inspiring adherence.
3. Provide and overview of degree and graduation requirements.
4. Complete Certificates of Advanced Standing (CAS) in a timely manner.
5. Linking students to campus resources, as needed (e.g., counseling or financial aid).
1. Candidates MUST show interest by submitting, in its entirety online, an application and all required application material.
2. Applicant is solely responsible for ensuring application and material thoroughly reflects their knowledge, skills, and abilities, as it relates to the advertised qualifications.
3. A complete application, including all previous employment, and education, for full consideration, MUST be received online by 11:59PM of the “Job Close Date.”
4. Applicants who list “see resume” or “see Curriculum Vitae” in lieu of completing the application WILL NOT be considered.
5. NSU conducts background checks on all candidates identified as finalist for employment. The type of background check(s) performed is dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist, which may include: criminal history, sex offender registry checks, reference checks, degree validation, driving records, license verification, credit history review. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. You will be required to sign an Authorization to release form. 6. NSU utilizes form I9 and E-Verify for employment eligibility.
Norfolk State University
700 Park Ave
Norfolk, VA 23504
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. without employer sponsorship. PREVIOUS CANDIDATES NEED NOT REAPPLY.
Office of Human Resources
Norfolk State University
700 Park Ave Norfolk, VA 23504
1. Demonstrated working knowledge of academic advising models and best practices.
2. Demonstrated effective interpersonal, oral and written communication.
3. Demonstrated ability to work with and interact effectively with diverse groups of students, faculty and staff.
4. Considerable computer skills, e.g., the ability to conduct internet research and word processing and utilize database software.
5. Demonstrated ability to work with student information systems.
6. Considerable experience in effectively assessing a student’s academic needs, collaborating with a student to construct a plan to improve academic performance, promoting the student’s success and tracking results.
7. Considerable knowledge of the applicable federal and state regulations governing areas related to the responsibilities of the position including the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
8. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and assignments.
9. Considerable experience teaching or facilitating academic support courses (i.e., study skills, first year semester, etc).
1. Maser’s degree or higher in Academic Advising, Education or related fields.
2. 3-5 years of direct academic advising experience with an advising load of at least 300 students per term.