Student Learning Specialist/Instructor
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) Educational and Student Success Center is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Learning Specialist. UAMS, the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Arkansas, includes colleges of Health Professions, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and the Graduate School for biomedical sciences, as well as the UAMS Medical Center (hospital and outpatient center) and Regional Programs throughout the state. UAMS has over 10,000 employees and nearly 3,000 students, and is located in Little Rock, Arkansas. The main campus is located in Little Rock, AR, and the Northwest Regional Campus is located in Fayetteville, AR. The Education and Student Success Center serves students in all the UAMS Colleges and the Graduate School. The Northwest Regional Campus has a current student enrollment of 273 students representing the Colleges of Health Professions, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy. Student enrollment at the Northwest Regional Campus is expected to grow substantially in the next 2 years as additional programs in Health Professions, Medicine and Nursing are added to the campus. The Education and Student Success Center works with students to identify student-learning needs and provides resources to meet these needs. Services provided include writing and presentation assistance, academic coaching and peer tutoring, technical support for student devices and a website providing access to information and resources related to academic success. The Student Success Center works closely with the UAMS Library to help fulfill the missions of UAMS.
This full-time, twelve-month, non-tenure track faculty (Instructor), position reports to the Director of the Educational and Student Success Center. The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) has a unique combination of education, research, and clinical programs that encourages and supports teamwork and diversity. We champion being a collaborative health care organization, focused on improving the health, health care, and well-being of Arkansans.
The Learning Specialist works to assist UAMS students on the Northwest Regional Campus with academic needs by meeting one-on-one to develop a working plan of action, referring to peer tutoring, organizing and holding workshops to help students, and other academic related activities that would help students successfully complete course work. The Learning Specialist works as a part of the Educational and Student Success Center team to further the mission and successfully market to the services of the Center. S/He works to identify the current trends in academic/learning and apply them in a face-to-face and online environment.
The Learning Specialist:
• Coaches students on academic issues such as time management, study skills, test taking, test anxiety, etc. by making a plan of action for each student and following up with students as needed
• Creates, maintains, documents, and presents workshops and teaching modules covering topics such as time management, study skills, test taking, test anxiety, etc.
• Contributes to the online presence of the Educational and Student Success Center by developing online modules, workshops, guides, etc. covering various topics
• Refers students to other student related services such as Peer Tutoring, Student Wellness, and Disability Services as appropriate
• Recruits, interviews, and trains peer tutors, maintains connections, and offers support to peer tutors.
• Develops and maintains close working relationships with faculty and staff for the various programs in which he/she works by visiting classes, creating remediation plans, holding appropriate meetings and providing written updates on work with students, attending prospective student informational sessions, etc.
• Maintains relevance with learning theory and best practices as related to working in an educational setting
• Participates in scholarly publication and presentation of work done with students as appropriate
• Markets the mission and services of the Educational and Student Success Center by participating in orientation sessions, campus tours, resource fairs, etc.
• Maintains a friendly, working relationship with all members of the Educational and Student Success Center staff • Maintains accurate statistics on activities throughout the year; provides information in a timely manner for the Educational and Student Success Center annual report
• Participates in faculty activities such as facilitating Interprofessional Education activities, peer review activities
The Learning Specialist also engages in professional activities outside the Educational and Student Success Center, which may include:
• serving on campus-wide committees
• participating in state, regional, and national professional organizations
• collaborating with colleagues at other academic health centers
• keeping current on emerging trends in the provision of educational services
May perform other duties as assigned.
Apply at https://jobs.uams.edu/
Position ID 2021-74827
Include resume and cover letter as attachments with the electronic application.
Fast Facts about UAMS: https://web.uams.edu/about/fast-facts/
UAMS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is committed to excellence. The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) has a unique combination of education, research, and clinical programs that encourages and supports teamwork and diversity. We champion being a collaborative health care organization, focused on improving the health, health care, and well-being of Arkansans.
UAMS offers amazing benefits and perks:
• Health: Medical, Dental and Vision plans available for staff and family
• Holiday, Vacation and Sick Leave
• Education discount for staff and dependents (undergraduate only)
• Retirement: Up to 10% matched contribution from UAMS
• Basic Life Insurance up to $50,000
• Career Training and Educational Opportunities
• Merchant Discounts
• Concierge prescription delivery on the main campus when using UAMS pharmacy
Physical Requirements Stand: Occasionally Sit: Frequently Walk: Occasionally Bend, crawl, crouch, kneel, stoop, or reach overhead: Occasionally Lift, push, pull, carry weight: 10 lbs or less Use hands to touch, handle, or feel: Frequently Talk: Frequently Hear: Continuously Taste or smell: Never Read, concentrate, think analytically: Continuously Physical Environment: Inside Classroom Setting, Inside Office Environment Noise Level: Quiet Visual Requirements: Color discrimination, Depth perception, Far visual acuity, Near visual acuity Hazards: None