This position provides a holistic perspective in assisting first year students by incorporating their academic, social, cultural and psychological adjustment to university life. This position instructs four sections of American University Experience I (AUx1) (1.5 credits each) in the fall semester and four sections of American University Experience II (AUx2) (1.5 credits each) in the spring semester. This position concurrently provides year-long professional academic advising and support to undergraduate students enrolled in their assigned sections of AUx1 during the students’ first academic year. The caseload for the AUx Instructor and Advisor is determined by enrollments in their sections of AUx1 courses. This position works under general supervision and is expected to exercise professional judgment in all aspects of the position and has broad decision-making authority subject to review by the Assistant Director, First Year Advising and the Director, First Year Advising.
Apply today at: https://careers.american.edu/Staff/job/Washington-AUx-Instructor-&-Advisor-%2814578%29-DC-DC/564388000/ Current American University Employees: If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Contact Us: For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-885-3563
- Master's degree 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Minimum of three years’ experience providing advising or student services support in higher education
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an adjunct faculty appointment
- Teaching or small group facilitation experience with undergraduate students and strong student support focus
- Strong interpersonal communication, critical thinking, and problem solving skills with multiple demonstrated cultural competencies (LGBTQ, International, first-generation, socioeconomic class differences, students of color) to serve a diverse student population is required
- Attention to detail along with initiative, drive, flexibility, and ability to excel in a multicultural environment
- Demonstrated public speaking ability and excellent verbal and written communication skills.