Note: Open until filled; however, priority consideration will be given to applications received by June 4th. While the current work of the Academic Advising Center’s staff is remote, all staff — including the candidate selected for hire — will transition on-campus when normal operations resume with the opportunity for limited remote work. The Academic Advising Center is the home for exploring undergraduate students at the University of Utah, and this position is responsible for assisting in the direction of the Major Exploration Program. The Major Exploration program is a holistic and multi-faceted program that aims to objectively assist students in the intentional declaration of majors, minors, and/or certificates by utilizing a planful decision-making process. In addition to programming and coordination, this individual will advise students from diverse backgrounds in areas including academic standards, degree completion, policies and procedures, and general education. This individual will serve as a staff partner for the Major and Career Exploration Living Learning Community (LLC). With equity in mind, the staff partner develops, implements, and assesses programming for the LLC, which serves first-year exploratory students, including co-teaching a credit-bearing undergraduate course for LLC residents. Additionally, this individual will be responsible for the planning and content of a monthly student newsletter. This position requires constant collaboration with staff in the Academic Advising Center as well as with campus-wide advising partners. The Major Exploration Program is a collaborative and dynamic team. We are looking to hire an individual committed to access and education, passionate about working with exploring students, and proactive in championing causes that elevate students and the field of advising. Our office vision is to empower every student with the knowledge and confidence to create a unique undergraduate journey, and ultimately, to value exploration and learning as lifelong rather than contained to a classroom. Learn more about the Academic Advising Center and Major Exploration Program at www.advising.utah.edu and www.majors.utah.edu. If you have questions about the position, please contact Julia Vincent at email@example.com.
• Advise undergraduate students from diverse backgrounds in areas including academic standards, major exploration and decision-making, orientation, degree completion, policies and procedures, general education
• Collaborate with campus partner(s) to coordinate and execute Major and Career Exploration Living Learning Community serving first-year exploratory students, including co-teaching a credit bearing undergraduate course
• Author monthly newsletter for exploratory students with input and assistance from Major Exploration Program team
• Assist with ongoing campus-wide advisor education and training in relation to major exploration topics
• Assist in evaluation of data and assessment in determining program goals and enhancements
• Present to students and/or staff about major exploration and/or general advising topics
• Develop and prepare advising materials for students and/or staff
• Participate in related professional development activities, including active participation in the university academic advising community (UAAC)
• Other duties as assigned; some responsibilities may change in the future as office needs evolve
Apply directly through HR listing: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/115437
The University of Utah offers exciting, challenging and rewarding careers to those who seek opportunities to grow and succeed. Our University is well known as a top research institution that values each person’s contribution to innovation.
To learn more about the Academic Advising Center, visit www.advising.utah.edu and/or www.majors.utah.edu.
Julia Vincent, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bachelor’s degree in a related area plus three years experience in academic advising, guidance and counseling or equivalency; demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required. Master’s degree and significant supervision and advising experience preferred.
• Advising, coaching, or residence life/housing experience in higher education
• Teaching experience
• Experience advising or supervising student groups