Provides confidential academic advising to ensure that students receive the individual attention they need to succeed before entering a program. Develops and monitors academic plans to assist students with timely graduation and supports the University's retention and graduation initiatives.
• Engages in professional development opportunities to further job knowledge and skills.
• Utilizes technology to manage a caseload of advisees to support students¿ identification of an appropriate major and their retention and on-time graduation in the identified major.
• Responds to student messages, inquiries and requests in a timely manner (within 2 business days).
• Provides academic advising and guidance to prospective FIU students (both on campus and at prospective student events that occur off-campus) and current students who are considering change of major.
• Educates advisees on how to access resources and technological tools (including but not limited to career and talent development, Center for academic success, PDA, Major Maps, EAB, Handshake).
• Educates advisees on relevant policies and procedures (e.g. Excess Credit Surcharge, NC grades, Academic Salvage/Amnesty).
• Provides general career advising to students to help them plan for employment and/or future education and help facilitate career-readiness through appropriate referral to available resources.
• Conducts targeted outreach campaigns to improve retention and graduation rates.
• Acts as a student advocate, identifying potential roadblocks to success and escalating those roadblocks for resolution.
• Works with program faculty, career professionals, and Center for Student Engagement to stay up-to-date on engagement opportunities for students and educates advisees on potential engagement opportunities and other high-impact practices available to them. (academic success, PDA, Major Maps, EAB, Handshake)
• Completes appropriate Academic Coaching Training and utilizes techniques with special populations.
• Adheres to all State of Florida, University, NCAA, Conference USA and department rules and policies pertaining to the position of Athletic Academic Advisor. Reports any known NCAA violations or concerns to Chief Athletic Compliance Officer. Serves as Academic Athletic Liaison and handles all advisement activities for student athletes. Processes mid -term and annual NCAA Progress Toward Degree forms (if questions arise related to Panther Degree Audit).
Interested candidates should apply at careers.fiu.edu
Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students Worlds Ahead opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.
Job Category Administrative
Advertised Salary $44,000
Work Schedule Begin time: 8:00 AM End time: 5:00 PM
Criminal Background Check
How To Apply Current Employee
As a current employee, you must log into Employee Self Service (ESS) to apply for this and any other internal career opportunity of interest. In this account, you are able to track your applicant status in "My Applications". In order to be considered eligible for the position as an internal candidate, departmental staff must meet minimum requirements of the position, be in good performance standing, and have been continuously employed at the University for at least six months. Before you begin the process, we recommend that you are prepared to attach electronic copies of your resume/ curriculum vitae, cover letter or any other documents within the application process. It is recommended that you combine your cover letter and resume into one attachment. Attached documents should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. *This posting will close at 12:00 am of the close date. Disclosures Florida Statute 1010.35 - Screening Foreign Researchers Pursuant to Florida law, any citizen of a foreign county who is not a permanent resident of the U.S., or who is a citizen or permanent resident but is affiliated with or has had at least 1 year of employment or training in China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, or Syria is subject to additional screening. Applicants meeting those criteria will be required to provide the following information in the application: every institution of higher education attended; all previous employment since the applicant’s 18th birthday; list of all published material, current and pending research funding from any source, including details about the research, your role, funding source, and amount; list and description of any non-university professional activities; any affiliation with an institution or program in a foreign country; a complete copy of your passport; the most recently submitted DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application). Clery Notice In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/. To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station). Pay Transparency Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Director, Academic Advising College of Arts, Sciences & Education
Florida International University