Categories: Mid Atlantic Region 2
|Pamplin College of Business, Undergraduate Programs
|Jun 24 2019 10:00PM
Reporting to the Director of Advising, the Academic Advisor serves as a full-time (calendar year) administrative/professional faculty member in the Pamplin College of Business. The major areas of responsibility include academic advising for undergraduate students in all six business majors (75%) and performing duties related to new student orientation, ongoing training and professional development, and tasks relevant to special talents or areas of interest (20%). Additional job duties may include department liaison tasks and assisting colleagues as needed (5%).
75% of Responsibilities:
- Provide academic advising services to approximately 450 undergraduate students
- Deliver accurate information and advice to students about majors, minors, course options, study abroad, transfer credits, and extracurricular activities
- Assist students in developing a comprehensive educational plan
- Initiate academic intervention for students in academic difficulty
20% of Responsibilities:
- Participate in all aspects of new student orientation
- Occasionally provide limited services outside of normal work hours
- Participate in on-going training and professional development opportunities
- Participate in Pamplin Commencement activities
- Serve as the liaison to assigned department(s)
5% of Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Review of applications will begin July 8, 2019. Required documents to be submitted are:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Philosophy of Advising (Other Doc).
For a complete description of the position and requirements and to apply, please visit www.jobs.vt.edu, and search for posting AP0190221.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department. Virginia Tech is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution.
Katie Wells email@example.com
- Bachelor’s degree in business, education, higher education administration or a related field coupled with training and or experience which may equate to an advanced degree.
- Working knowledge of academic advising offices, programs, policies and software.
- Understanding the offices and resources of academic advising that provide services to students.
- Professional (full-time) academic advising experience.
- Service-oriented attitude with a passion for working with students.
- High level of professionalism. organization, initiative, and follow-through.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Master’s degree in business, education, higher education administration, or related field.
- Previous academic advising experience in a business discipline is valued.
- Supervisory experience is desirable.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment.