The Academic Advisor works closely with the Director of Advising to provide individual academic advising, pre-registration advising, and progress-toward-degree advising for undergraduate students. The Advisor also maintains student records, and assists with a range of student services and registration processes. The Advisor evaluates transfer credit and is responsible for first year registration. Uses thorough knowledge of university/school advising and registration policies and procedures to provide accurate information to students and faculty while maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Working closely with the Director of Advising and Program Chair, provide one-on-one advising to undergraduate students on a wide variety of topics including curriculum requirements, identifying and scheduling electives, study abroad, registration issues, degree progress, etc.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate student records, ensuring requirements are met via degree audits and regular communication with advisees.
- Use thorough knowledge of university/school advising and registration policies and procedures to provide accurate information to students and faculty while maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Referring students with complex academic issues to the Director of Advising.
- Assist in modifying registration and advising procedures based on current best practices on campus.
- Evaluate and approve all external/AP/IB transfer credit for first year students as well as assume responsibility for first year registration (FTES).
- Identify, reach out and refer at-risk students and provide support, guidance and referral to academic departments, faculty, support services (tutoring center, writing center, math clinic), crisis intervention (Office of Student Assistance), personal counseling and therapy (Counseling Center), financial aid, residence life and to other University resources.
- Maintain student files using Orange Success and OnBase.
- Serve on School and University Committees as needed.
Syracuse University is a private, international research university with distinctive academics, diversely unique offerings and an undeniable spirit. Located in the geographic heart of New York State, with a global footprint, and nearly 150 years of history, Syracuse University offers a quintessential college experience. The scope of Syracuse University is a testament to its strengths: a pioneering history dating back to 1870; a choice of more than 200 majors and 100 minors offered through 13 schools and colleges; nearly 15,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students; more than a quarter of a million alumni in 160 countries; and a student population from all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries. For more information, please visit www.syracuse.edu.
Bachelors Degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience advising students and managing records in a university setting.
- Must be able to deliver a broad range of advising services while contributing to a professional work environment with a high degree of personal integrity, discretion and confidentiality.
- Position requires the ability to identify enhancements and improvements to processes and advising services offered to undergraduate students while maintaining the principles and educational objectives of the School.
- Requires independent judgement, accuracy, and excellent communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of student services policies and procedures; expertise in the use of databases and programs such as PeopleSoft/MySlice, Hyperion, Orange SUccess, Degree Works, and OnBase.