The Academic Advisor will have an essential role in guiding prospective and current Public Policy students both graduate and undergraduate through their degree requirements.
The primary purpose of the position is to provide student advising, orientation, recruitment and other support for student-related events. The Academic Advisor also oversees or assists with various student-related administrative processes. Works with faculty and office personnel to ensure the smooth operation of the advising services.
Apply at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/71594
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
- Master’s degree
- At least three years of professional experience.
- Excellent written, oral, and Microsoft Office (or similar) skills.
- Strong customer service, enthusiasm, maturity, judgment, detail-orientation, self-motivation, and team, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively and supportively with a diverse set of students and colleagues with a wide array of cultures, nations, beliefs, practices, and personalities
- A master’s degree in higher education, student affairs, public policy, public administration, or related degree.
- Student advising and/or other student services experience.
- Professional public service experience.
- Knowledge of campus undergraduate degree requirements and advising systems.
- Professional presentation and database software proficiency.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends occasionally.