The School of Public Health has approximately 2500 students, of which over half represent diverse racial and ethnic groups throughout four majors. The School of Public Health is currently ranked #22 according to U.S. News and World Reports. The School has experienced incredible growth over the last several years. It is an exciting and vibrant community made up of faculty, staff and students who are passionate about public health. The School seeks an Advisor to share in this passion and to support a wide range of duties in the SPH Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA).
This position provides direct support and advising to our student-athletes in the School. This job requires superb attention to detail as this person works closely with athletics to ensure students are adhering to Big 10 policies and procedures while making progress toward their degree. Other duties include but are not limited to: coordinating the school-wide benchmark process, presenting workshops on applying for graduate/professional school, teaching UNIV100 (freshman transition course) and overseeing college processes such as senior audits and study abroad. Additionally, this person will work collaboratively and creatively both internally and externally across campus.
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
Erin Caporellie email@example.com
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as experience with students from diverse backgrounds.
• Should be detail oriented and proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, and able to create and maintain various databases.
• Able to handle confidential and sensitive information in accordance with FERPA.
• Excellent work ethic and strong customer service skills.
• Demonstrated skills and experience in collaborating in a team environment.
• Able to interact well with both internal and external audiences.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Passionate desire to educate and assist students, and a commitment to promoting diversity.
• 2-3 years of advising experience
• Familiarity with student athletes