The Academic Advisor works collaboratively with the Director of Academic Advising to implement the institutional vision for strong student advising strategies. The Academic Advisor will provide a safe comfortable atmosphere where students are encouraged to grow intellectually and personally. Advisors help students make positive decisions to move forward in their academic planning and educational goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides consistent and accurate advising information to students through the web/portal and staff/faculty, as well as across departments to ensure that all disseminated information is consistently
· Advises students regarding academic interests, college offerings and requirements.
· Assist students in selecting courses and combinations of courses that reflect individual interests and academic preparedness. Interpret assessment scores and facilitate decisions with students regarding placement choices within their selected program of study.
· Meets with students and parents providing guidance and information on the college, it programs, and available student resources.
· Coordinates and collaborates with representatives from Academic Departments, and other campus departments in order to resolve student issues and develop quality improvement methods.
· Assist the Director of Academic Advising with early alert initiatives and preparing appropriate reports.
· Participate in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the goals and objectives of the advising program.
· Maintain confidentiality of records and information (FERPA Compliance).
· Maintain accurate student records
· Maintain knowledge of all college policies and procedures, college grounds and facilities, registration process, and all services provided at the College.
SOWELA Technical Community College (SOWELA) is a member of the Louisiana Community and Technical College System and under the governance of the Louisiana Board of Regents. The course offerings and requirements of SOWELA are continually under examination and revision. This catalog presents the offerings and requirements in effect at the time of publication but makes no guarantee that they will not be changed or revoked. However, adequate and reasonable notice will be given to students affected by any changes. This catalog is not intended to state contractual terms and does not constitute a contract between the student and SOWELA. SOWELA reserves the right to make changes as required in course offerings, curricula, academic policies and other rules and regulations affecting students, to be effective whenever determined by the institution. These changes will govern current and formerly enrolled students. Enrollment of all students is subject to these conditions. SOWELA provides the opportunity for students to increase their knowledge by providing programs of instruction in the various disciplines and programs through faculty who are qualified and meet the credentialing requirements of the appropriate accrediting bodies for teaching at the college level. The acquisition and retention of knowledge by any student is, however, contingent upon the student’s desire and ability to learn, and his or her application of appropriate study techniques to any course or program.
Technical education deals with knowledge, skills, and attitudes that prepare the individual for a specific occupation or vocation. To assist in the accomplishment of this task, the Southwest Louisiana Trade School was established by the Louisiana Legislature in 1938, and in 1940, classes began in five programs of training. In 1962, the name was changed to SOWELA Technical Institute due to expansion of facilities, growth of the student body, increased curricula, and the need for additional technical education. In 1971, SOWELA Technical Institute gained significant recognition upon its accreditation by the Commission on Occupational Education Institutions of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools – one of the most prestigious educational accrediting agencies in the United States. SOWELA Technical Institute moved to its present location at 3820 Sen. J. Bennett Johnston Avenue in January 1980. The institute was renamed SOWELA Regional Technical Institute in March 1990, as it served as the regional center for Region Five. Another milestone was reached on July 27, 1995, when the school was renamed Louisiana Technical College – SOWELA Campus. SOWELA was among the largest and most progressive post-secondary technical colleges in the state. The Louisiana Community and Technical College System Board of Supervisors changed the status of Louisiana Technical College – SOWELA Campus to SOWELA Technical Community College effective July 1, 2003. In 2010, the Louisiana Community and Technical College System Board of Supervisors approved the transfer of the Morgan Smith campus in Jennings to SOWELA Technical Community College. Previously, both Morgan Smith and SOWELA were part of Region Five. The transfer of Morgan Smith to SOWELA is a homecoming designed to increase services to Calcasieu and Jefferson Davis Parishes.
SOWELA Technical Community College provides traditional, distance and lifelong learning experiences and awards associate degrees, technical diplomas, and certificates that empower learners in transfer, career, and technical education to excel as globally competitive citizens.
SOWELA Technical Community College models excellence in teaching, training, and service.
SOWELA Technical Community College values: Student Success, Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Access, and Diversity.
Since 1938, SOWELA Technical Community College (SOWELA) has served the community of Southwest Louisiana with higher education and training opportunities. SOWELA takes pride in its continuing efforts to build a workforce of faculty and staff that reflects the diversity of the students we serve. Through the leadership of SOWELA’s Chancellor, and with guidance provided by the Louisiana Community and Technical College System and its Board of Supervisors, SOWELA aims to achieve new heights in reflecting professionalism and credibility among its employee base. SOWELA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SOWELA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, disability, or age in its programs and activities.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Title: Compliance Officer
Address: 3820 Sen. J. Bennett Johnston Ave., Lake Charles, LA 70615
Telephone No.: 337-421-6565 or 800-256-0483