Serve as one of the first points of contact for Exploratory Study (undecided) students.
▪ Serve as one of the first points of contact for Exploratory Study (undecided) students.
▪ Maintain accurate and appropriate advising materials for areas of specialty.
▪ Serve as a liaison to specific academic departments within and outside of CLAS to ensure consistent and accurate student advising.
▪ Collaborate with Career Center, Alumni Relations, and other campus partners for Exploratory Study advising and programming.
▪ Collaborate with faculty advisors and liaisons in the academic units to provide comprehensive academic advising to students.
▪ Provide accessible, accurate, timely, and consistent academic advising to students pursuing majors and/or minors offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
▪ Provide proactive, developmental, and appreciative advising and support to all students, including those experiencing academic difficulty and those seeking acceptance into competitive secondary admission undergraduate and graduate programs.
▪ Advise students in choosing an appropriate major and/or minor, and assist them with the appropriate course selection including a blend of general education and program specific requirements.
▪ Assist students with building educational plans that are consistent with their goals, abilities and interests.
▪ Provide academic advising at the freshman, transfer, and international student advising and registrations sessions.
▪ Provide students with clear and accurate information on GVSU policies and procedures as it pertains to degree completion.
▪ Provide academic information to prospective students through participation in Admissions recruiting events, individualized appointments and electronic means.
▪ Provide appropriate referrals to academic departments, student support programs and other university resources as necessary to help students achieve their academic goals.
▪ Other responsibilities as defined by the Director of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Academic Advising Center.
▪ This position will work closely with their team leader, but reports directly to the Director of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Academic Advising Center.
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter, statement of your advising philosophy, and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Learn more about GVSU at this link: https://www.gvsu.edu/about.htm
Find full posting and apply at this link: https://jobs.gvsu.edu/en-us/job/493430/academic-advisor-clas-academic-advising-center
If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
▪ Earned Bachelor’s Degree ▪ Minimum of 1 year of academic advising experience in higher education
▪ Demonstrated strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
▪ Successful experience working with and an understanding of underrepresented and diverse populations
▪ Strong understanding of and demonstrated desire for collaborative approaches to problem solving
▪ Demonstrated ability and willingness to work both autonomously as well as part of a collaborative team
▪ Earned Master’s degree in Academic Advising or advising-related field such as Student Affairs, Adult and Higher Education, or Educational Leadership
▪ At least two years of full-time student support experience in higher education
▪ Demonstrated experience working with and advising exploratory/undecided students
▪ Demonstrated experience working with and advising students interested in pursuing majors and minors in the liberal arts and sciences
▪ Understanding of college student development theory and its application to academic advising
▪ Familiarity with computer information systems and web-based records and registration systems, especially Banner, Degree Works, and/or EAB Navigate
▪ Possession of the NACADA Academic Advising Certificate or Master’s Degree in Academic