The Seidman College of Business at Grand Valley State University is seeking a full-time, 12 month professional Academic Advisor. The candidate will have an earned bachelor’s degree (a master’s degree in an education or related field is preferred). The candidate will also have relevant experience working with adult learners in an advising or coaching capacity, and have a demonstrated understanding of program planning, development theory with related experience, strong communication (oral and written) and organizational skills, ability to work both autonomously and as a key member of an academic advising center, and demonstrated commitment to customer service. Further responsibilities of this position can be found at https://jobs.gvsu.edu/cw/en-us/listing/
• Provide excellent customer service to students, faculty, staff, and external contacts.
• Provide academic, career, and developmental advising to business students.
• Proactively assess, monitor, and address student academic needs.
• Connect students with support services to address academic and personal issues.
• Provide specific and intentional academic advising and support to students including those experiencing academic difficulty, reentry and degree completion.
• Assist with College and University promotional and recruiting events, including nights and weekends, if needed.
• Advise students in course sequencing and time to graduation or program completion.
• Provide support services for the office as necessary.
• Other duties as assigned by the unit administration.
Applicants must apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu. Include a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript, and list of three references, and a 400 word academic advising philosophy. The online system will allow you to attach these electronically. If you need assistance or have questions, call Human Resources at (616) 331-2215.
For more information about Seidman College of Business, see our website at www.gvsu.edu/business Grand Rapids, Michigan 49504 – (616) 331-5000
For more information about Seidman College of Business, see our website at www.gvsu.edu/business
If you need assistance or have questions, call Human Resources at (616) 331-2215.
• Earned bachelor’s degree
• Relevant experience in academic advising or coaching within a learning environment
• Demonstrated understanding of program planning and learning theory
• Demonstrated ability to understand the needs and challenges faced by adult learners
• Strong communication (oral and written) and organization skills,
• Ability to work both autonomously and as a key member of an academic advising center team
• Demonstrated commitment to customer service
• Demonstrated experience working with adult learner populations
• Earned master’s degree in an education or related field
• Familiarity with computer student information systems in general (Banner in specific)
• Proficiency in Microsoft computer applications