The Academic Advisor position reports to the Dean of School of Hospitality (SoH) and participates in relevant academic advising activities with the University’s Academic Advising Center. This position will be responsible for academic advising, recruitment and retention for students who have declared programs in SoH. The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
The primary responsibilities are to provide informed guidance and accurate information in the most efficient, accessible, and comprehensive manner possible to assist students in reaching their educational, life, and career goals.
Academic Advising (70%)
• Conduct individual advising sessions for students who have declared majors in SoH.
• Assist with course selection, scheduling, and registration.
• Help with long-term degree planning.
• Assist with and evaluate transfer courses and submit degree exceptions where applicable.
• Refer students to appropriate university resources.
• Provide basic information related to career planning, financial aid, admissions and other applicable information related to student needs.
• Review SoH sections of the University Catalog to ensure all curriculum changes have been accurately reflected to ensure accurate advising.
• Conduct and coordinate outreach to SoH students.
• Assist with the collection of data for the preparation of reporting related to the assessment of advising services.
• Participate in and coordinate SoH involvement in University recruitment events, specifically outreach and involvement with under-represented groups.
• Participate in Student Orientation Advising and Registration (SOAR) and SoH Transfer Student Orientations. • Work with the Admissions office to identify newly admitted SoH students and contact them regarding orientation and advising.
Training and Professional Development (5%)
• Work collaboratively with faculty and staff to provide assistance and training as needed.
• Participate in advisor training sessions.
• Attend professional development opportunities whenever possible.
Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com. References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information. Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
Metropolitan State University of Denver is a unique, access-oriented campus community that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms. Our student population consists of nearly 50% first generation students and over 45% students of color. We are a designated Hispanic Serving Institution located in downtown Denver. We create an equitable learning and working environment in concert with individuals who consistently demonstrate commitment to equity and inclusion. We greatly value the diverse identities and perspectives of our students, faculty, and staff and recognize that in order to achieve a just and equitable society, diversity must go beyond simple representation. It requires critical inquiry and dialogue and a commitment to action. We strive to provide a culture of belonging for all community members to achieve personal and professional success.
Thank you for your interest in this position. The screening and selection process is currently underway and will continue until a successful candidate is chosen. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted.
Araceli Cortez email@example.com