Harpur Advising is seeking an Academic Advisor to advise Harpur College of Arts and Sciences students with differing curricular needs on requirements and degree planning, while working closely with faculty and staff.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advising liberal arts undergraduates
- Advising students exploring majors
- Educating students about programs and opportunities
- Coordinating, developing and facilitating outreach activities to help students gain knowledge about university academic programs, policies and procedures
- Assisting students in identifying their interests, abilities. and academic goals and in making decisions regarding their academic career
- Assisting students with degree planning to insure compliance with financial aid policies
- Participating in new student orientation and recruitment events
- Serving on committees as assigned
- Advise freshmen and sophomore pre-health students
- Advisors will have an area of focus and responsibility
Occasional evening and weekend hours are required. Applicants should be highly organized, self-disciplined, proactive, able to work independently/effectively as a team member, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. This advising position offers the successful candidates the opportunity to hone their developmental advising skills. Harpur academic advisors work with a variety of campus offices including academic departments, Financial Aid and Student Records, Fleishman Center for Career Professional Development, New Student Programs, Admissions and various Student Affairs offices.
Deadline for Internal Applicants: June 1, 2021
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online. Please submit: Resume, Cover letter, and Contact information for three professional references You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success. Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two years of experience in higher education
- Demonstrated understanding of the educational role of academic advising in enhancing student learning and development
- Ability to effectively, professionally and tactfully interact and communicate, both orally and in writing with students. faculty, staff and visitors
- Superior public speaking and presentation skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Understanding of and sensitivity to diverse socioeconomic, cultural and developmental needs
- Master's degree
- Experience in academic advising (liberal arts preferred) or student affairs/student life
- Experience with BANNER and DegreeWorks desirable