The Academic Advisor in the Animal Sciences department will create an open and respectful environment in which students of diverse backgrounds and interests feel comfortable exploring and defining their goals and curricular pathways. This individual will have the opportunity to empower students to be actively responsible learners and assist them in making well-informed decisions, guide students in course selection and the process for registering for courses and identify campus activities and program opportunities related to the students' major. The academic advisor will maintain a consistent pattern of contact and communications with assigned students, use data to provide timely outreach to students on their academic progress, conduct audits on student’s degree progress and assess when a student’s situation requires referral to campus resources. In addition, this individual will maintain and ensure confidentiality of student records and teach students about the university’s structure, systems, policies and practices.
- Provide academic advising to assigned students
- Assess other needs and make professional referrals
- Interpret University policies, procedures, and curriculum to students, faculty, staff and administration
- Assist in resolving academic problems
- Respond to contacts from students, family members, faculty and University staff including international and exchange students prior to their arrival - Assess when a situation calls for more probing questions
- Make explicit students’ responsibility for their own academic and professional success
- Build and maintain contacts with other advising units
- Participate in college/department recruiting activities designed to attract new students
- Assist with the recruitment and retention of diverse undergraduate students for the academic unit/campus
- Communicate programs and services through web and print materials, contacts, and individual and group presentations
- Submit necessary data and documentation for proper maintenance of student records
- Participate in staff meetings and systems training and updates
- Assist in the preparation of reports and serving on advising related committees
Purdue University is a public land-grant research university in West Lafayette, Indiana, and the flagship campus of the Purdue University system. The university was founded in 1869 after Lafayette businessman John Purdue donated land and money to establish a college of science, technology, and agriculture in his name.
All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue guidelines. To learn more, visit https://bit.ly/3DH3z6f Purdue will not sponsor an employment related visa for this position. A background check will be required for employment.
FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Ashley York - email@example.com
- Master’s degree in student personnel, higher education or related field
- 1 year of student advising, recruitment or other student-facing experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to collaborate with faculty, staff, current and prospective students, parents, and families
- Ability to problem solve and utilize campus resources for individuals and groups
- Ability and willingness to work in a changing environment
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Master’s degree in Animal Sciences
- Knowledge of undergraduate student recruitment and marketing
- Knowledge of programs and majors at Purdue University
- Proficient with social media platforms and publication software