Join our Student Services team that supports pre-nursing students at the state of Utah’s flagship College of Nursing at the University of Utah. The Student Services team prides itself on providing comprehensive support to a diverse group of pre-nursing and nursing students as they navigate their pathway into the nursing profession. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the processes and new solutions that will help pre-nursing students reach their educational and career goals. This advising role emphasizes holistic, proactive, and data-informed advising. We seek an individual who is passionate about student success. Strong applicants are excellent communicators, can build rapport quickly, and are willing to collaborate in a fast-paced, team-centered environment. You will use your knowledge in academic advising, sensitivity to needs of diverse student populations, and problem-solving skills to identify student needs and determine best ways to support student success. This position works at the College of Nursing building, with options for remote work on some days. Responsibilities With direct supervision, this position works as part of an advising team to advise a diverse population of students regarding their academic planning and progress by utilizing professional advising and guidance skills. Interprets and explains university academic policy and procedure to assist students in making decisions concerning personal educational goals leading to graduation. This position will assist the University in promoting a climate of respect and equity that cultivates and sustains transformative practices by forging spaces of possibility where people feel safe, valued, welcomed, and respects all students in their quest for individual success through degree programs, certificates, majors, etc.
1. Meets with students to provide information and guidance on academic-related issues, such as graduation requirements and exceptions, major exploration, course planning and registration, transfer credit evaluation/substitution or advanced degree requirements.
2. Facilitates students’ academic progress by evaluating their needs and developing appropriate educational plans. Makes referrals for students who need assistance with overcoming learning obstacles, specialized tutoring, extended or intensive assistance with career decisions or similar needs.
3. Actively engages in campus-based professional development communities, including but not limited to “UAAC or other relevant campus-based organizations.”
4. Uses enterprise-level data analytics and student record technology platforms to monitor student progress and guide proactive student interventions.
5. Maintains students’ academic files that include a record of the advising activity that takes place during each visit.
6. Develops and presents education programs designed to supplement or enhance academic preparedness.
7. Collects and disseminates information to students, faculty and departments about changes in major requirements or University policies and adjusts advising strategies as appropriate.
8. Coordinates and/or participates in the advising-related portion of new/transfer student and parent orientation sessions.
9. Serves on University committees.
10. Participates in local and national professional associations.
11. May participate in search committees for new hires in department, including both staff and faculty roles.
12. Participates in programming communities for students within their area.
13. Other duties as assigned.
n your application, please submit a statement describing your Advising Philosophy in the “Applicant Document – Other” option when submitting your resume and cover letter. Thank you.
Director/ Title IX Coordinator Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (OEO/AA) 135 Park Building Salt Lake City, UT 84112 801-581-8365 firstname.lastname@example.org
Online reports may be submitted at oeo.utah.edu
For more information: https://www.utah.edu/nondiscrimination/
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules. This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Link to apply: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/128001
Mike Brammer firstname.lastname@example.org