The Academic Success Advisor (Chinese Language Specialist) provides academic coaching and advising to an assigned cohort of students of any nationality. The Advisor assists students in understanding academic policies and requirements, learning about tools and resources available to them at INTO OSU and OSU, registering for courses and identifying academic skills and strategies for success. The Chinese Language Specialist aspect of this position provides cultural adjustment and translation support to ensure the academic and personal success of OSU’s Chinese-speaking students who are receiving services from INTO OSU. The successful candidate for this position will exemplify the INTO OSU Core Values: A Global Outlook: We respect diverse perspectives and international experience.
Our Students: We value the success and well-being of our students as the foundation of our work.
We build community with compassion, cooperation, collaboration and trust. We respect each other with open communication and transparency.
We provide leadership and take personal responsibility. We work with enthusiasm, positivity and passion.
Growth and Development:
We grow and adapt to change with creativity, innovation and flexibility both as individuals and as a group.
• Provide academic coaching and advising to an assigned cohort of students. This includes educating students on how to navigate academic policies and procedures, understand the academic culture at OSU, register for classes, make academic decisions, pursue academic opportunities, and learn when & how to use academic tools & resources.
• Encourage students to be active participants of the OSU community in meaningful ways based on their academic, professional & personal strengths, interests & goals.
• Monitor student progress and academic standing and provide one-on-one academic skills advising to at-risk students; help students identify and implement strategies and direct students to services, tools, and resources that will help them succeed.
• Provide basic guidance and counselling specifically to Chinese-speaking students through student advising sessions, presentations, and other methods to support their cultural adjustment and educational success as a student at OSU, including advising on social, academic, health, safety, cultural, interpersonal, and other concerns and refer students in need to appropriate resources.
• Liaise with the student services, administrative (admissions, finance, academic support) and academic teams (Program Managers, Associate Program Managers) and the Office of International Services (International Student Advisors and Sponsored Student Advisors) to advise students of processes, requirements and standards as they pertain to programs at the INTO OSU center and OSU.
• Provide informal interpretation and translation services for students, staff, and campus partners as deemed appropriate and requested or approved by supervisor.
• Provide an additional layer of support for the Student Care specialist with Chinese-speaking student care cases, maintain records and confidentiality, ensure students understand resources, expectations, and processes. This includes providing cultural insights that may help resolve cases positively.
• Provide creative, proactive input to relevant partners on improving services and resources to increase academic success for Chinese-speaking students.
• Liaise with student organizations and student leaders to foster communication between INTO OSU and Chinese-speaking students, and to receive valuable input on the student experience at OSU.
• Provide support during Orientation and other special events, as needed;
• Maintain accurate and detailed student records in compliance with FERPA regulations.
• Other duties as assigned.
To apply, click the following link to submit your Cover Letter, Resume, and contact information for 3 professional references. https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=784f8d56-cd0b-4d3e-a1ac-d483f8f0a37e&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=426932&source=CC2&lang=en_US
INTO Oregon State University (INTO OSU) is a 50/50 partnership between INTO University Partnerships and Oregon State University. The partnership was established in 2008 to help drive the University's internationalization agenda with the intent of raising its brand and profile, establishing itself as an international research-intensive university and transforming the profile of its international student body as well as enhancing the overall student experience. The partnership established and operates a campus-based state-of-the-art international pathway center that currently serves more than 1000 international students in a variety of academic and English language programs. Oregon State University is an international public research university located in Corvallis, one of the safest, smartest, greenest, small cities in the nation. Oregon State is the state’s Land Grant University and is one of only two universities in the U.S. to have Sea Grant, Space Grant, and Sun Grant designations as well. With 11 colleges, 15 Agricultural Experiment Stations, 35 county Extension offices, the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport, and OSU-Cascades in Bend, Oregon State has a presence in every one of Oregon’s 36 counties. INTO University Partnerships collaborates with leading universities to provide international students with a personalized and highly supportive learning environment in which to acclimate to life on a US university campus and prepare for long term academic success. Since 2006, INTO has launched partnerships to internationalize 25 universities in the US, UK, and Asia, including Oregon State University, University of South Florida, George Mason University, Drew University, Saint Louis University, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Suffolk University, Illinois State University and Hofstra University.
Location Corvallis, Oregon (this is an on-site position)
Compensation & Perks
This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt (eligible for overtime) position, with an hourly rate of $15.87 to $17.30 depending on experience. INTO OSU offers a competitive benefit package including Medical, Dental, Life/ADD, STD, and 401k. We offer a positive work environment, casual Fridays (wear your Orange and Black), on-site coffee shop and company sponsored events. INTO University Partnerships provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. INTO University Partnerships complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.