Under general supervision, the Graduate Academic Success Advisor is a key contributor to increasing student retention and graduation and supports students in making timely progress toward a degree through a range of in-person, group, and online academic and support strategies and as a part of the team supports student recruitment, academic advising, to prospective and current students. This position works primarily with our Master's programs in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Industrial Engineering, and Robotics and Autonomous Systems- Artificial Intelligence with opportunities to work with our PhD populations in the future.
• Interacts with diverse groups of faculty, staff, students and general public; Interprets and guide students, faculty and staff with adhering to and complying with university, college, school, and program-level academic guidelines, policies and procedures in relation to recruitment, retention, degree progression, and graduation; Plans, develops, and delivers one to one and/or group academic advising through multiple formats (in-person, phone, Skype, Zoom online, etc.);
• Responds to inquiries via phone, email, salesforce, Canvas, Slack and Zoom (prospective student, current students, faculty, alumni, etc.) in a timely manner using effective interpersonal communication, critical thinking and problem-solving skills and methods as appropriate to address questions and/or concerns;
• Utilizes technology to be able to analyze admission documents for multiple graduate degree programs, to include transcripts evaluation and admission decisions; • Maintains and continually improve technical skills to be able to efficiently and effectively solve challenges and forecast trends;
• Guides and mentor’s students through program milestone processes such as submission and approval of a plan of study, international student paperwork, thesis/dissertation completion process, qualifying exams, advancing to candidacy, probation, and re-entry;
• Plans, coordinates and delivers program information sessions in person and via Zoom to recruit prospective, new and continuing students. Topics for sessions include: new student orientation / welcome programs, thesis/dissertation workshops, graduation verification workshops;
• Develops and delivers ongoing communication plans for recruitment and retention purposes;
• Works collaboratively and collegially with other academic units and service providers throughout the university and community to facilitate comprehensive student support; Coordinates and participates in special events;
• Effectively participates and contributes to the academic services team;
• Assists with development and maintenance of collateral items such as catalog, handbook, web page content, newsletters, outreach materials and other projects as assigned;
• Uses communication skills to develop and foster University, school, and community relationship/partnerships in support of making effective student referrals to university resources;
• Utilizes PeopleSoft, ASU Analytics, Webextender, My Reports, Amazon Workspaces, GPortal, Salesforce, and internet-based programs to collect, interpret, and present data, generate reports to assist school leadership in making decisions for program development and implementation, and to monitor student recruitment, retention, and general student academic progress;
• Assists students with the exploration of academic options, register for courses, and make timely progress towards completion of degree;
• Works under deadlines, manage multiple responsibilities and duties, with interruptions, and in unclear and/or changing situations;
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated. Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position. Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position. Cover Letter ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated. Only electronic applications are accepted for this position. Interviews may be done via Zoom or in person, applicants will need internet access and web cam access if selected for an interview via Zoom.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe. ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
The School of Computing and Augmented Intelligence (SCAI) is one of seven schools within the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. SCAI has presence at the Tempe Campus, Polytechnic Campus, and Online. SCAI also has a nationally recognized faculty that conducts research, instructs and mentors students, and provides service to the profession and the community. Our degree programs are widely recognized and offer opportunities for students to participate in research. Our research impact encompasses “Computing data into information – secure and affordable, anytime, anywhere”.
Contact: Araxi Hovhannessian - firstname.lastname@example.org; Link https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/JobDetailPreview?PartnerID=25620&SiteID=5494&pid=^xRxW1DD08A2Cz891vRPsAA==&ts=
Bachelor’s degree AND one (1) year or more previous experience in one or more of the following: advising, student recruitment/retention or related student services utilizing a proactive and innovative approach which results in demonstrated outcomes in retention, graduation, and academic planning; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
• Problem solving, critical thinking, and time management skills; graduate academic advising; implementing and adhering to Graduate policies and procedures; graduate student recruitment and retention.
• Working independently as well as a member of a team; working with graduate students in an academic environment; making public presentations in person and via Zoom
• Large scale event planning.
• Organizing, collecting, analyzing and reporting a variety of data in written, verbal and electronic formats; IPOS, Gportal, and Webextender, PeopleSoft; working with data retrieval programs (i.e., Amazon Workspaces, My Reports or Analytics) and web-based application programs.
• Higher education, or Board of Regents practices, or graduate policies and procedures, or graduate program development.
• Application of advising theories.
• Interpreting information and conveying to the customer/student clearly and concisely.
• Working with diverse student populations, especially international students.
• Master’s degree (in a related area appropriate to this position)
• Effective communication skills with a strong focus on collaboration and a high level of customer service.
• Technology skills in systems such as Peoplesoft, Excel, Canvas, Google Suite, Slack, Salesforce, Outlook, Zoom, etc.