Northwestern School of Professional Studies (SPS) is committed to helping its professional students advance their career. SPS Student Services is looking for an energetic student affairs specialist who can design and deliver excellent guidance for online graduate students located across the country and globe. The Academic and Career Adviser will join a team of student-centered and forward-thinking advisers who are entrusted to provide proactive support for adult students and innovative student service efforts. The Academic Adviser serves as a resource for students to support their career and academic advancement. In addition to academic planning and guidance, this role will also cultivate and expand career resources and events for all SPS students. This position will be working initially with graduate students the Masters of Data Science program. Advisers are expected to be experts in student support, rather than subject matter experts.
- Provide high-quality academic advising and career development service to a high-achieving and largely online student population, with an focus on continual improvement.
- Proactively advise students and maintain student records on all degree requirements, policies and procedures, career development and planning, time management and course load management, and strategies for success.
- Manages, works to solve, and proposes improvements based on student issues and concerns.
- Creates and executes targeted communication campaigns to engage students, nudge behaviors, keep students informed of new course offerings, degree requirements and deadlines, and promote relevant advancement opportunities.
- Leverages technology and develops new ways to best serve the greatest number of students effectively.
- Help develop and implement best practices, processes and training to achieve Student Service team goals.
Student Event Management:
- Lead team planning for one or more multi-program events, arranging all programming and coordinating team responsibilities to execute event successfully.
- Assist fellow advisers in the events they lead, sharing insights to increase team effectiveness.
- Develop plans and arrange event programming (e.g., workshops, seminars, webinars, company visits, information sessions, career fairs, etc.) designed to provide information, promote resources, and to build internal and external relationships.
- Review event outcomes and recommend changes to increase value, resources and participants.
- Participate with colleagues in planning and support for other SPS student events (e.g. graduation/convocation, orientation, student affairs committees, Alpha Sigma Lambda induction, alumni events, etc.).
All applicants must submit a resume and cover letter through the Northwestern HR posting (https://www.higheredjobs.com/clickthru/redirect.cfm?JobCode=177123695)