The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, College of Nursing invites applications for the Advisor/Recruiter position in the Office of Student Services. The Office of Student Services serves all College of Nursing prospective, current and alumni students. We empower all students to take ownership of their education by providing individualized, comprehensive academic advising through challenge and support. We partner with campus community and external stakeholders to foster a learning environment that promotes diversity, academic engagement and student success. The purpose of the office is to guide students through their educational journey to become future nurse leaders. The Office of Student Services seeks to provide quality academic advising to ensure timely graduation, achievement of academic and career goals while also fostering mattering and belonging in the university and college community. The Office of Student Services seeks an individual who is passionate about student success. This position provides comprehensive academic advising and supports holistic student success for undergraduate and graduate students pursuing or interested in the programs offered through the College of Nursing.
• Advise prospective, current and alumni students on academic, career, and personal issues and document interactions accordingly
• Maintain thorough knowledge of degree requirements, policies, and procedures for current and proposed programs
• Refer students to available online, campus-based, and off-campus resources and services
• Educate students about curriculum, progression and admissions requirements, supplemental programs and opportunities
• Host regular walk-in hours and scheduled appointments (including additional walk-in hours/appointments prior to add/drop and during open registration periods for faculty, staff, prospective and current students)
• Ensure adherence to all university and college policies, student privacy/confidentiality and FERPA law.
• Develop and facilitate outreach plan to assigned advisees and faculty
• Assist with the management of the shared email account(s)
• Assist with the management and professional development of faculty mentors
• Contribute to the maintenance of advising and academic information (electronic and print)
• Manage transfer course equivalencies, evaluations, and articulations
• Read and share publications with advising staff to maintain knowledge about the educational role of academic advising in enhancing student learning and development
• Assign students the appropriate advisor (Manage enrollment spreadsheet)
• Maintain curriculum and catalog information on the college and university website to include the catalog
• Meet with prospective students and parents
• Report to physical office daily
• Plan, implement and participate in special events such as open house, college fairs, virtual fairs and other recruitment events (evenings and weekends included/travel included)
• Represent the College of Nursing at recruitment events
• Execute an outreach plan
• Create and foster relationships with community stakeholders including high school counselors, alumni, community and college/university partners
• Participate in professional associations as a member
• Present at conference programs at local, regional and national meetings
• Attend scheduled staff meetings and provides updates
• Attend university events and participate in committee assignments as delegated
• Assume other appropriate responsibilities as delegated by the leadership
• Participate in special events (including but not limited to: new student orientation, open house, commencement, and recruitment events)
• Perform other related duties as assigned
Applications can be submitted at the following link: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_system/jobdetail.ftl?job=220000008Z&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York. In addition to the applicant file in Taleo, applicants should submit a cover letter detailing relevant experience along with a resume and names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Jackie Behrens firstname.lastname@example.org (865) 974-7606
1. Master’s Degree
2. Degree earned within 3 months of offer
3. Knowledge of academic advising and student learning / development theories applied to practice.
4. Experience working with students in a college or university setting.
5. Experience working with a diverse student population.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
1. Excellent oral and written communication.
2. Demonstrated ability to successfully navigate change.
3. Administrative and organizational skills.
4. Ability to complete simultaneous projects.
5. Competent to perform NACADA core competencies.
6. Evidence of team building skills that foster collaboration and ability to interact with a broad base of individuals (administration, faculty, staff, clinical partners, students, etc.) who interact with the Office of Student Services.
7. Computer literacy and strong skills with digital literacy tools. 8. Willingness to learn new systems, programs, skills and other information.
1. Knowledge of advising principles and best practices for recruiting.
2. Experience advising, recruiting or student success related career field in a higher education setting.