Miami Regional University (MRU) invites applications for the position of Assistant Academic Advisor. The Assistant Academic Advisor is responsible for providing academic advisement services to MRU undergraduate and graduate students. Academic Advisement includes conducting academic plans for success and monitoring retention. The Assistant Academic Advisor also assists with other duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Academic Advisement & Student Success. Applicants must be able to demonstrate a sensitivity to the needs of students, faculty and staff from multicultural backgrounds and demonstrate a commitment to our comprehensive learning institution.
Specific responsibilities for the position include the following: ·
Under the direction of the Senior Director; Assist students with academic advisement and retention.
· Contact all SAP students on a weekly basis to help facilitate them in making an appointment.
• Provide detailed communication notes on CampusVue for every student contact: via telephone, email, in office or virtual.
• Organize and Maintain student files.
• Monitor scheduled advising appointments by calling and emailing no-shows and rescheduling missed appointments.
• Contact students that are being referred by Faculty through Jupiter or via email and assist them with making an appointment.
• Assist walk-in students as needed and help them schedule appointments if required.
• Record all emails sent to students in bulk on CampusVue.
• Assist students with resources, providing basic and initial assistance to students with questions about courses, registration, permissions, etc. using established guidelines (departmental and university documents, and established policies and procedures according to the universities catalog)
• Assist with presentations, orientations, webinars, commencement and pinning ceremonies, as required.
• Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds.
• Remain competent and current by attending professional development webinars/courses, software training classes, and training sessions as directed.
• Must be available to work some nights and weekends.
• Support the Senior Director by performing all other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY: Cover letter, curriculum vita, and supporting documents must be submitted by email to Mitsy Sousa, Vice President of Human Resources & Public Relations at email@example.com or fax 305.455.6703
Equal Opportunity Employer Miami Regional University does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, genetic information, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Mitsy Sousa, Vice President of Human Resources & Public Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 305.455.6703
At a minimum, the successful candidate will have:
· Minimum Bachelor’s Degree
· 2-5 years of experience with academic advising.
· Effective verbal and written communication skills are required.
· The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
· Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office and Teams.
· Must have a working knowledge of or the ability to learn and use database applications; the web content management system, the administrative business system, and other systems or applications that may be used within the university or office.
· Must know how to operate and troubleshoot electronic office equipment, computers, maintain moderately complex filing systems and records, and make mathematical calculations.
· The ideal fit for this position would be a person with passion for professionalism, education, motivating and guiding others, detail oriented and interested in learning the skills required to become an Academic Advisor in higher education.
· Bilingual: English and Spanish preferred
Work Hours: Availability to work nights and weekend hours are required and ability to work remotely (temporarily due to Covid-19).
Classification: Full Time non-exempt
Bilingual: Fluent in English & Spanish