Rutgers University-Newark, an urban public research university and anchor institution, located in Newark, New Jersey, a city of promise, is seeking a Student Counselor for the School of Arts & Sciences Newark (SASN). Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Pre-Professional Services in the Office of Academic Services (OAS) in the School of Arts and Sciences-Newark (SAS-N). The Student Academic Counselor is a team member in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, customer service-focused environment. The duties of the Student Academic Counselor includes bit not limited to;
- Provides academic advising and counseling to undergraduate students, assists them with problem solving, and teaches them to advocate for themselves.
- Establishes and maintains productive contact with assigned caseload of Newark College of Arts & Sciences (NCAS) and University College-Newark (UC-N) students to counsel them and facilitate their declaration of major, progress toward graduation, and successful career and/or professional development.
- Works with the Pre-Professional Services unit to assist with the coordination of all programs targeting pre-professional students including workshops, events, advisement, registration, etc.
- Works with the pre-law student population by assisting with the advisement and programming for this area.
- Coordinates special programs and events for the pre-professional areas, specifically law and health.
- Performs outreach, identifying and growing opportunities and marketing, and preparing students for success.
- Develops relationships with faculty and other departments and contributes to transcript evaluation, advanced placement credit assessment, graduation certification, commencement activities, major/minor fair, judicial checks, website maintenance, and any other special events or duties as needed.
- Serves as an Academic Integrity (AI) facilitator, communicates, supports, and upholds AI policies and procedures. NCAS and UC-N together are the largest undergraduate unit at Rutgers University-Newark (RU-N). - OAS currently serves 19 departments within SASN as well as departments in the other academic units. Thus, the Academic Advisor assists, impacts, influences, and counsels a large number of students, currently over 5,000. Work is performed in a manner that furthers the mission of OAS, SASN, and RU-N and contributes to strategic goals. For more information on Newark College of Arts & Sciences please visit: http://www.ncas.rutgers.edu/oas/pre-professional-programs
Annual Minimum Salary 55758.000 Grade 5
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
- Requires excellent written and oral communication skills, strong organizational skills.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, and to interact successfully and confidentially with a wide range of individuals at all levels of the University community.
- Strong computer literacy, including use of databases.
- Requires excellent problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to multitask and function autonomously with limited supervision.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, customer-service focused environment.
- Master’s degree and experience in a university or other educational setting with experience in program development and conducting workshops for diverse populations strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of pre-professional advisement and academic integrity facilitation is also desired.
- Must be proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite. Will use the Student Records Database (SRDB), degree audits, Student Success Collaborative (SSC), Maxient, in-house applications, and any database or program utilized by the University to perform the duties of this position now or in the future.
- Must be familiar with or learn the office equipment, software, and specialized programs and/or materials needed to support the effective and efficient performance of this position.