Western Connecticut State University is pleased to announce applications are being accepted for the position of Assistant Director of Advisement. WCSU is committed to enhancing our diverse university community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, BIPOC, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. The Advisement Center provides incoming and current WCSU students with the continuous pursuit of academic success. The Advisement Center facilities enrollment for first time and transfer students as the are admitted to the university, the primary focus is on advising all Exploratory Studies students throughout the discovery process of finding their major using assessments and through the Exploratory Major Pathways program. The team of professional advisors works collaboratively throughout Enrollment Services and with Academic Deans, Department Chairs, and faculty members to assist students in connecting with academic departments for timely declaration of their major. The Advisement Center works closely with the First Year Experience program, and also presents several events to all WCSU students related to registration and enrollment. The office also participates in university events such as Open House, Homecoming, and New Student Orientation. Our professional advisors create success plans, action plans, and uses CRM software to manage student caseloads and track at-risk students using early alerts to provide interventions and strategies to support student success and retention. Additional information on the Advisement Center may be found at: www.wcsu.edu/aac/. Information on Western Connnecticut State University may be found at www.wcsu.edu.
• Provides information to students about educational programs. Advises students on program and course options. Provides preliminary information related to educational programs, assists student in establishing an integrated education plan.
• Makes referrals to appropriate academic departments and other advising resources.
• Administers and reviews assessment instruments with students as appropriate.
• Designs and facilitates workshops on a range of topics involving academic planning for students and faculty. Conducts research on “best practices” in academic advisement.
• Conducts outreach activities to student groups, parents, high school counselors and faculty as assigned in order to provide integrated information on academic and career choices.
• Assist with implementation and maintenance of program(s) to identify and assist at-risk students.
• May assume responsibilities for a particular student population such as part-time students, transfer students, etc., or special program areas, as assigned.
Prospective candidates must submit a cover letter, which includes the names and contact information for three (3) professional references and a resume. Email your application materials as one (1) complete file (PDF or Word format only) to:
Ms. Peggy Boyle, University HR Administrator – Recruitment & Labor Relations.
In subject line of email reference: Your Last Name – Advisement Center. Application materials must be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received no later than Friday, October 22, 2021. Late applications will not be accepted.
WCSU is committed to enhancing our diverse university community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, BIPOC, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion.
State and Federal requirements expect that organizations with 100 or more employees invite applicants to self-identify gender and race. We kindly request all applicants to complete the Affirmative Action Data Questionnaire via the following link. http://wcsu.edu/diversity/affirmative-action-data-questionnaire/. Any questions may be directed to Ms. Keisha Stokes in the WCSU Office of Diversity and Equity at email@example.com. Completion of this data will not affect your opportunity for employment, or terms or conditions of employment. This form will be used for reporting purposes only and will be kept separate from all search records and only accessed by the Office of Diversity and Equity. Western is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Educator/Employer
Ms. Peggy Boyle, University HR Administrator – Recruitment & Labor Relations. In subject line of email reference: Your Last Name – Advisement Center. Application materials must be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree is preferred. Two (2) years’ experience in either career planning, educational planning, or employment placement in a college setting is required.
Candidate must possess excellent organizational and communication skills and be proficient using Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Teams and Excel.