Under the supervision of the Assistant Vice President and Dean of the Center for Academic Excellence, the Associate Director of Academic Advisement is responsible for providing visible leadership within the department and assisting in the overall management and coordination of all programs and processes within the Office of Academic Advisement. In addition, the Associate Director is expected to work collaboratively with the Director of Student Success and other stakeholders in the college, in promoting student persistence, retention and graduation. The Associate Director will also provide direction for the academic advisers within the Office and may also be required to take on an advising load.
• Assist the AVP/Dean of the Center for Academic Excellence with the management and coordination of the college-wide advisement system, with special responsibility for supervising the day-to-day work of the advising staff.
• Advise both new and continuing students on all college degree requirements, academic policies, catalog rules, regulations and other guidelines governing the fulfillment of their degree programs.
• Oversee the registration of incoming students and ensure that such students are properly assigned to appropriate faculty advisors within their declared majors and minors.
• Coordinate and develop programs geared towards supporting the academic transition of students to the college.
• Work closely with the New York City Seminar faculty to provide them with the additional support needed to create a successful first year experience for our incoming students.
• Coordinate and manage all advisement training for new and continuing faculty advisors, to ensure up-to-date and consistent advisement information and practices.
• Plan, produce and disseminate faculty advisement information each semester, in preparation for student advisement and registration.
• Work closely with the AVP/Dean of the Center for Academic Excellence to review policies and practices pertaining to the academic advisement of new and continuing students within the college.
• Represent the department on various college committees, whose work are aligned with the goals and objectives of Office of Academic Advisement or those of the Center for Academic Excellence.
• Work closely with the staff and leadership teams in the Center for Student Services, Admission, Students Affairs and other student-facing areas in the college.
• Work collaboratively with the other members of the leadership team of the Center for Academic Excellence, to advance the goals and objectives of the area.
• Perform all other functions as assigned by the AVP/Dean of the Center for Academic Excellence.
Marymount Manhattan College is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
• Master’s degree in Higher Education or a related field
• At least 3 years of direct experience in academic advisement or related area
• Some college teaching experience preferred
• Some supervisory experience required
• Excellent computer skills, including word-processing, spreadsheet and database
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Ability to make balanced judgments and decisions
• Ability to work well with individuals from diverse academic, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds