The Director of Academic Advising provides leadership in a holistic, developmental advising process based on a dynamic student-advisor relationship that enables students to integrate their interests and abilities with MIAD’s academic programs. The director provides administration of day-to-day operations associated with the management of MIAD’s comprehensive academic and career advising program that allows students to achieve their educational, professional, and creative goals through the full range of institutional and community resources available to them. The position reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, and works closely with faculty and staff advisors who engage students in an inquiry process that challenges them to do their best work, become self-directed and complete their educational goals on the way to realizing their creative potential as a professional.
The director oversees the advising process, assigns and maintains the advisee/advisor lists, prepares the annual advising calendar and advising materials, participates in registration and other enrollment management activities, provides advisor training and development, conducts ongoing assessment efforts, and develops and executes programs for students related to academic and career advising. The director works with the Vice President of Academic Affairs, the Executive Director of Career Services, and the Registrar to identify and implement innovative models and programs, develop policies and offer support to advisors and departments.
Principle duties include, but are not limited to:
• Lead advisors and provide on-going resources, support and training to the advising team in the areas of developmental advising and student success.
• Update and maintain necessary online resources such as the Advising Moodle, the Student Advising Moodle, and the MIAD Advising web page.
• Establish an Academic Advising Committee that will include core constituents from the Career Services and Registrar’s Offices and the First Year faculty.
• Work closely with the Vice President of Academic Affairs and the Department Chairs in implementing an advising model that is inquiry-based, steeped in student’s academic and creative interests, structured by a semester-to-semester continuous process of goal setting and reflection.
• In collaboration with faculty and student services staff, develop long and short-term advising initiatives that enable students to reach the learning outcomes set forth by MIAD as a college and the MIAD advising program. • Provide students with the guidance and tools to take control of their own education and become responsible for their educational choices.
• Participate in bi-monthly Student Services meetings.
• Serve as an advisor for students with complex advising needs that a faculty/staff advisor could not accommodate.
• Serve as staff advisor to Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society for First Year Success.
• Assist in the planning and delivery of course registration, 4-week reports, and mid-terms. Assist students in evaluating their progress towards completing their degree and fulfilling their Program of Study requirements in close collaboration with the Registrar’s Office.
• Work closely with Career Services to further develop an advising system that will help students see the connection between and make the best choices regarding their studio/academic classes and career/professional options.
• Assist Faculty Chairs with the organization, development, and coordination of student information events and resources about MIAD Majors/Minors and Declaration Day.
• Work with the Orientation Coordinator to plan and facilitate New Student Orientation for both first-time and transfer students.
• Submit blog articles for family communication purposes
• Communicate and build relationships with representatives of all departments and offices at MIAD to facilitate student success and promote academic and career advising services and programs.
• Maintain a connection to state, regional and national advising professionals and accessing their resources and professional opportunities.
• Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Qualified applicants should submit the following information in one (1) pdf document via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• A letter of interest/cover letter
• A resume
• Three (3) reference names and contact information. Initial review of candidates will occur in June 2021 and will continue to review candidate materials until the position has been filled.
As an accredited, nonprofit college, MIAD provides a transformative Bachelor of Fine Arts education that prepares students of diverse backgrounds for fulfilling and financially rewarding careers. MIAD fosters innovative and entrepreneurial thinking that benefits our students and our corporate and nonprofit partners. MIAD is proud to serve students of all backgrounds and recognizes our opportunity to advance equity and inclusion. Under the direction of our inaugural Director of Equity and Inclusion and with input from community partners, MIAD developed a Three-year Equity and Inclusion Action Plan. View the plan at: https://www.miad.edu/college-services/inclusivity/action MIAD is committed to a teaching, learning, and working environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. The college prohibits students, employees, contractors, volunteers, and visitors from engaging in discrimination and harassment based on any individual’s age, race, creed, color, disability, marital status, sex, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, religion, arrest record, conviction record, military service, veteran status, use or nonuse of lawful products off MIAD premises during nonworking hours, and any other legally protected characteristic. This prohibition applies to all of MIAD’s educational programs and activities—including admissions—as well as all employment actions, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, and benefits.
MIAD offers an attractive benefits package, including health, vision and dental insurance. All final candidates extended an offer must successfully complete reference and background checks.
MIAD Human Resources - Director of Academic Advising Search: email@example.com