Director of Student Success & Advising
Recruitment #: S2125
Review Date: July 16, 2021
Department: Student Success & Advising
Salary Range: $65,784 - $77,388
Benefits: Western Oregon University offers an excellent benefits package for eligible employees which includes 95% premium paid healthcare, a generous retirement and vacation package, and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities. http://www.wou.edu/hr/benefits/
Department / Job Summary:
The Student Success and Advising Office coordinates academic advising and student success at WOU. An academic support service, the SSA serves as a resource to students and teaching faculty in College of Education and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The SSA assists students in acquiring and maintaining the academic skills necessary to succeed in their college careers. The SSA provides timely, accurate and developmental academic advising. In addition, the SSA helps current and prospective students with program requirements, policies, and procedures. In addition, the SSA provides student success proactive advising to better support students who are struggling academically. Potentially all students at Western may be impacted by this office. Presently, the SSA advises exploratory students, pre-Nursing students, students in academic difficulty and students with questions about university policies and procedures. SSA adapts its advising and success programs to meet evolving institutional needs. The SSA supports the mission of the University to integrate a comprehensive liberal arts education experience into its undergraduate programs. The primary purpose of this position is to initiate, lead, manage and evaluate academic advising and student success services and staff. The office staff consists of a Director, an Assistant Director of Student Success, 3 academic success advisors, 1 bilingual academic success advisor, 1 transfer specialist, and 6 student office specialists. The position holder researches and, as appropriate to WOU’s context and resources, implements new initiatives in support of student success.
You may submit all materials online at www.wou.edu/prostaffapp
Required Application materials (PDF preferred):
1. WOU Employment Application form available here
2. Letter of application that addresses each qualification of the position. Please include how your experience, education, and/or training might help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community.
4. Contact information for three references
5. Unofficial copy of transcript for highest degree earned
Note: A criminal background check will be required as a condition of employment.
•Western Oregon University is an AA/EOE/Veteran/Disability employer and is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.
•The university typically only considers visa support for employees placed in specialized positions that are continuing regular university appointments for multiple years
As an alternative, you may submit application materials to: S2125, Director of Student Success & Advising, Human Resources, Western Oregon, University, 345 N. Monmouth Avenue, Monmouth, OR 97361; OR e-mail to email@example.com; OR fax to: 503-838-8144.
Jennifer Sauer firstname.lastname@example.org
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in academic advising, education, leadership, student affairs or related areas in post-secondary education
• Demonstrated experience developing, delivering and/or assessing programs that support student success
• Demonstrated experience working with and supporting the success of individuals who have diverse backgrounds, cultures, and languages
• Demonstrated experience collaborating with staff and/or faculty on advising and/or student success initiatives • Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in written, verbal, and presentation formats for individuals and small and large groups.
• Minimum of one (1) year of experience supervising professional staff
• Ability to work occasional weekend and evening hours