The International Office at Illinois Wesleyan University seeks a passionate professional to serve as International Student and Scholar advisor. We are committed to welcoming and supporting a diverse, inclusive, and civil community of students, faculty, and staff from around the world. The office currently serves an international student population that includes representation from 25 countries, and we work alongside the University’s Office of Diversity & Inclusion and Engaging Diversity program to engage the broader campus community in conversations about equity, inclusion, and respect for cultural differences. Candidates should have the ability to sustain communication with diverse groups, anticipate problems, and collaborate across campus; be dedicated to strengthening community among international students, fostering their personal and cultural development, and advocating on their behalf; and share a commitment to raising campus-wide awareness of international education, encouraging cross-cultural engagement, and promoting intercultural learning. This is a full time, 12-month, benefits eligible position.
1. Serve as an International Student Advisor: assist students in complying with government regulations; organize multi-day orientation programs and train/supervise orientation mentors; work with offices across campus to support international student integration and development; and design and implement ongoing programming to expose students to local, regional, and broader US culture and provide opportunities for them to share their own cultures; serve as a general resource to faculty, staff, and students regarding intercultural engagement.
2. Serve as International Scholar Advisor: assist guests and scholars in complying with government regulations; advise individual international guests and scholars on cross-cultural adjustment and related matters; act as liaison with departments and faculty sponsoring foreign scholars/visitors; serve as a resource to faculty, staff, and exchange visitors regarding visa matters.
3. Serve as DSO/ARO for the university’s F and J visa programs within SEVIS.
4. Support study abroad, as needed.
5. Some evening and weekend hours required.
Please download the application at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/Positions.html.
In addition to the aforementioned statement, please provide the following:
1. A cover letter, including a clear statement describing your understanding of inclusion and how your experiences have prepared you to contribute to the IWU commitment of building a diverse and inclusive environment.
2. A resume.
3. Contact information for three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately; position is open until filled.
Illinois Wesleyan University Human Resources, Holmes 209 1312 N. Park Street Bloomington, IL 61701 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: 309-556-1710 (please use cover sheet) The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation.
Illinois Wesleyan University is committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse, inclusive, and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to supporting and further building our community in these dimensions. Illinois Wesleyan University is an EEO Employer. Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusive excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity.
Illinois Wesleyan University does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term.
Human Resources: email@example.com