The Center for Academic Excellence at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, invites applications for a Learning Specialist, to begin as early as the spring semester of 2020. As a Learning Specialist in the CAE, the successful candidate will provide professional and academic support to students as well as serving as Coordinator of the Midshipmen Group Study Program (MGSP), USNA’s version of a Peer Tutoring Program. MGSP is a peer-led group study program designed to help students in historically difficult courses to both master course content and develop study strategies.
• Promote academic and professional success for students
• Work with students to develop appropriate learning strategies
• Facilitate learning, study, and life skills workshops
• Implement academic support plans for students
• Facilitate and instruct in the speed reading and comprehension program
• Create and maintain individual and aggregate data, records, and reports
• Serve as Coordinator of a Peer Tutoring Program by managing and administering this vital academic support program
• Design, implement, and coordinate Peer Tutoring Program content with faculty; peer training; oversight and evaluation of instruction; sound learning; and support to ensure effective group learning.
• Perform other duties as assigned
To apply go to: https://www.usna.edu/HRO/jobinfo/AcCenterLearnSpec2019.php
The United States Naval Academy (USNA) is a four-year undergraduate institution with a mission to prepare midshipmen morally, mentally, and physically for commissioning as officers in the naval services.
Dr. Beth Waitkus
● A master's or terminal degree
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
● U.S. Citizenship
● Three years of work experience in a post-secondary setting in a student support capacity
● Experience with quantitative assessment and evaluation of student learning
● Knowledge of and experience with the SI Model established by the International Center for Supplemental Instruction at University of Missouri-Kansas City
● Experience working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body