The Pre-Health Professions Advisor provides career education/advising to pre-health interested students and alumni from all academic majors. Services include helping students understand and assess their interests and aptitude relative to a health professions career, major exploration, course recommendations, suggestions for gaining relevant experience, and support with the professional school application process. The Pre-Health Professions Advisor reports to the Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator.
PROVIDE ADVISING AND MENTORING BY:
• Advising/assisting targeted health professions student populations, as designated based on student need by the Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator.
• Providing individual advising, mentoring, and coaching for students on health profession career-related topics in person, by phone, email, and through Zoom/videoconferencing.
• Designing and delivering group advising sessions/workshops and orientation programming targeted at pre-health students in various stages of the pre-health exploration and application process.
• Support course instruction for student success/life skills non-academic classes.
• Helping students identify and sequence appropriate prerequisite courses.
• Providing guidance in finding clinical, volunteer and leadership experience.
• Assisting students with the application process, including selecting schools, timing their applications, writing personal statements, preparing primary and secondary applications/essays, and preparing for interviews, in collaboration with Career Services and the Writing Center.
• Guiding students in selecting academic majors that align with their parallel plan, assessing their academic abilities, and examining alternative careers.
• Assisting Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator with maintaining the pre-health professions student database and email contact list and communicating detailed information to students in a timely manner.
COORDINATE RECRUITING AND MARKETING BY:
• Assisting Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator with recruiting and marketing efforts on UI campus, including email and/or phone correspondence and on-campus meetings with prospective students and parents.
• Helping maintain and promote social media outlets and program website.
• Representing the Pre-Health Professions Program at on-campus and regional, off campus recruiting events as deemed appropriate by the Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator.
PLANNING AND FACILITATING EVENTS BY:
• Planning, organizing, and assisting with educational and informational programs, workshops, and orientation programming for pre-health professions students.
• Facilitating information sessions for professionals from regional health professions schools that are of high interest to University of Idaho students.
ENSURE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND GROWTH BY:
• Building and maintaining professional knowledge in each health professions field, including relevant admission standards and policies, by studying program websites and reading latest monographs and articles about current issues in pre-health professions advising and related topics.
• Maintaining membership in NAAHP as budget allows.
• Maintaining membership in UIACADA and NACADA as budget allows.
• Maintaining professional networks on and off campus.
• Attending professional conferences (WAAHP, NAAHP), as budget allows.
CONTRIBUTE TO UNIVERSITY ADVISING SERVICES TEAM EFFORT BY:
• Actively participating in University Advising Services meetings, trainings, and orientations.
• Collaborating with student organizations, student support services, Career Services, professional schools, faculty, department heads, and staff members in support of student success initiatives.
• Providing excellent customer support to internal and external parties.
• Supporting cross-area work efforts during recruitment and retention initiatives.
• Serving as a back-up academic advisor as needed during peak advising times or staff transition.
• Completing other duties as assigned by Executive Director of Student Success Initiatives, Associate Director for Advising (Student Success) or Pre-Health Professions Advising Coordinator.
SUPPORT STUDENT ENGAGEMENT BY:
• Serving as staff advisor to pre-health student organizations, as assigned by the Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator, by mentoring officers and assisting in planning events.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received on or before September 12, 2021 will receive first consideration. Posting will remain open until a suitable pool of candidates is identified. Applicants: Please use your letter of qualification to explain in detail how your work experience, skills, and abilities meet both the required and preferred qualifications as listed in the position description. Your letter of qualification will be used to demonstrate your communication and writing skills to determine your ranking among the other applicants for this position.
The University of Idaho is the state’s land-grant research university. The University of Idaho's role in the state's economic prosperity dates back to our inception. Our research-driven, innovative spirit began in agriculture, engineering and military sciences. We continue this tradition today, making an impact on all areas of industry. From providing a high-quality, accessible education — to leading breakthroughs in clean water, cybersecurity, healthcare, agronomics and fire science — we forge partnerships to improve the lives of all Idahoans.
The University of Idaho (U of I) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, U of I does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, genetic information or status as any protected veteran or military status in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions and educational programs.
NATALIE BURDEN Pre-Health Program Coordinator University Advising Services