Premedical and Allied Health Coordinator University of Massachusetts Boston
The Pre-Medical and Allied Health Coordinator will serve as an integral part of the CSM Student Success Center team. The incumbent will coordinate all Pre-Medical and Allied Health advising and programmatic activities including academic advising, graduate school application process and community programming; and will be responsible for continuing a proactive, developmental advising culture in order to provide to students guidance based on theories and knowledge of teaching, learning and human development, reflective of developmental and demographic profiles of the student population, and responsive to the needs of individuals, special populations, and communities. The overall goal of the College of Science and Mathematics (CSM) Student Success Center (SSC) is to enhance advising in the academic home of CSM students, to increase the number of places that a student can find guidance and support, and to do so in a network of partnerships, so as to improve student retention and reduce time to graduation. The mission of the Pre-Medical and Allied Health Coordinator includes supporting CSM faculty in implementing major/pre-med program-specific advising procedures and policies, effectively communicating said procedures and policies to the Pre-medical and Allied health students in order to support students in attaining their educational and career goals.
• Serve as the College of Science and Mathematics (CSM) Pre-Medical and Allied Health Coordinator, working with students pursuing health-oriented careers; liaise with the Pre-Medical Committee and provide support to students during the application process;
• Serve as designated academic advisor for all Pre- Medical/Allied Health students and provide support for sections of Science Gateway Seminar related to pre- med/health fields;
• Collaborate with the CSM Career Specialist in the Office of Career Services and Internships to assist students in finding clinical, research, volunteer or paid experience in the field of health care; plan and execute the annual Health Professions Career Fair;
• Serve as liaison with student groups, faculty and health profession schools, as well as American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS), American Association of Dental Schools (AADSAS), and Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS);
• Coordinate workshops, panels, receptions, school visits, and enrichment programs for Pre-Medical/Allied Health students;
• Collect, compile and present assessment and statistical data to the Dean and other campus constituents on student satisfaction, applications, acceptances, and final school choices;
• Provide individual (on both walk-in and appointment basis) and group advising for Pre-med and Allied health students served by the Student Success Center, particularly those in the Pre-Medical and Allied Health Freshman Success Communities, on a wide range of academic issues, including degree requirements and the general education curriculum of the university;
• Participate in New Student Orientation including assisting with Pre-Medical and Allied Health advising and present Advising and Registration sessions, assisting students with making a smooth transition to campus; as well as participating in Open House and Welcome Day sessions;
• Explain and interpret transfer credit policies and evaluations; assist students with the inter-college transfer process; • Use WISER, the degree progress report, and other technological tools to advise students;
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references to: http://employmentopportunities.umb.edu/boston/en-us/job/503031/premedical-and-allied-health-coordinator
The University of Massachusetts Boston is a public research university with a dynamic culture of teaching and learning, and a special commitment to urban and global engagement. The university is nationally recognized as a model of excellence for urban public universities.
Contact Krystle Santana via email: Krystle.Santana@umb.edu