The Director of Academic Advising works collaboratively with Academic Affairs, Enrollment Management, Student Affairs and College Leadership to implement the institutional vision for strong student engagement, retention and completion strategies. The scope of work within the Academic Advising area includes developing and assessing the philosophy and strategies for the institution's advising component; developing and implementing advising staff training; supervising, hiring and coordinating training for all advising & testing center staff; maintaining and coordinating advising staff during the registration cycle and peak advising periods; ensuring consistent and quality communication with the students to promote student success; ensuring accurate advising information is available on the web/portal and assisting with targeted student retention efforts.
• Supervises, hires, evaluates and trains all advising & testing center staff. Supports advising staff during peak advising periods to ensure a high-quality, consistent and accurate advising culture that is aligned with the college’s mission to promote student success and retention.
• Develops and assesses the procedures, protocols and strategies for the institution’s advising component of student engagement. Facilitates changes as necessary to maintain continuous advising quality to ensure best practices are being implemented, documented and adjusted based on process analysis.
• Provides consistent and accurate advising information to students through the web/portal and staff/faculty, as well as across departments to ensure that all disseminated information is consistently updated.
• Analyzes and maintains enrollment data, identifying retention and persistence patterns and other relevant information to provide for informative decisions regarding academic advising, its processes, and its outcomes.
• Facilitates communication and collaboration between the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Deans, Program Coordinators, College Leadership, and all departments to coordinate and support advising efforts and create a positive environment conducive to implementing and maintaining a comprehensive, internally supported academic advising program.
• Leads the Quality Enhancement Plan Implementation Committee. Disseminates Quality Enhancement Plan activity information including an annual report. Produces the fifth-year interim report according to SACSCOC compliance requirements to ensure the Quality Enhancement Plan is executed as written.
• Develop and deliver advising staff training programs and formal presentations to leadership groups, faculty and staff.
Coordinates the planning, tracking and analyzing of the SOWELA early alert system for students.
Oversees the testing center and new student orientation.
Collaborates with the Executive Director of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs and other campus departments concerning student success and retention efforts.
Performs other duties as required and/or assigned by supervisor.