Full Time Position
The Aspire Program is a newly developed, comprehensive 4-year career development program that integrates entrepreneurship, creativity, and leadership to prepare students for the careers of today and of the future. The Aspire Center is the hub of activity for The Aspire Program with a scope of work that extends well beyond the work of a traditional career center. The center consists of a small and growing team doing work that will make a real impact in both on- and off-campus communities. In an average day, we’re as likely to be strategizing about regional workforce development needs as planning a program with on-campus colleagues for first-year students to explore their values and goals. We’re like a start-up housed in an established organization, and we are looking for people who are energized by the trials and triumphs of building a new program. The ideal candidate is someone who is flexible, creative, curious, and collaborative. Career specialists bring work experience related to their target field and/or working with high school or college students. The Aspire Program, which fully launched in fall 2019, connects students with career advisors and mentors and is designed to provide all students access to meaningful experiential learning opportunities. Carthage’s location in the Milwaukee to Chicago corridor provides students access to a wide range of experiential learning and post-graduate opportunities, and its unique J-term and off-campus study program provides global access to expand students’ perspectives on the world.
• Optimistic and team-oriented; able to keep team goals in mind, even when working independently
• Works well with ambiguity and is able to make decisions without always having all of the information
• Thinks strategically and is able to prioritize
• Adaptable and able to handle unforeseen events/requests with ease and cheerfulness For candidates with sufficient experience in pre-health advising, the Science and Pre-Health Career Specialist serves as co-chair for the pre-health advising committee alongside of a highly collaborative faculty co-chair and engaged committee to develop a holistic support model for students interested in health-related careers. For candidates without sufficient pre-health advising experience, the newly hired Career Specialist will serve as an active member of the committee with opportunity to move into a leadership role once relevant competencies are demonstrated.
Responsibilities for the Science and Pre-Health Career Specialist can be divided into four broad categories:
• Serve as a liaison to an assigned set of academic departments (portfolio includes most natural and physical sciences along with health/exercise-focused departments)
• Manage relationships with alumni, employers, and graduate/professional schools
• Facilitate programming and advise students to support students’ completion of Aspire Program goals with special emphasis on building curricular and co-curricular experiences related to careers in health and science
• Complete other duties as assigned or as opportunities emerge.
Please submit cover letter and resume/CV online at www.carthage.edu/careers. Materials can be addressed to: Ms. Lisa Hinkley
Associate Vice President for Career & Professional Development
2001 Alford Park Drive
Kenosha, WI 53140
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing Graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
NOTE: In addition to the currently posted Science and Pre-Health Career Specialist role, The Aspire Center anticipates new position openings in the coming months. If you are interested in joining the team and would like to express your interest in roles beyond the Science and Pre-Health Career Specialist, please complete our expression of interest form. The links for the application and interest form are available at www.carthage.edu/careers. Expected responsibilities for the other new positions will likely involve a combination of leadership, entrepreneurship, career decision-making, data/assessment, or splitting existing career fields amongst Career Specialists. The pre-application interest form will let you identify interests and provide information about yourself to help the team understand your strengths.
Lisa Hinkley firstname.lastname@example.org
• Graduate degree preferred; bachelor’s degree required • All areas of study are invited to apply
• Strong appreciation for science and/or healthcare
• Love of building new programs/initiatives and working both independently and with others
• Ability to work effectively within a culturally diverse community of students/alumni, faculty, and staff along with external stakeholders from a variety of industries
• Experience in advising, teaching, or counseling; experience with high school or college-aged students or other related experience
• Skilled with using technology required for the role, such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, social media, and databases.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills across mediums with attentiveness to detail, tone, audience, etc.
• Candidate must be able to work with some interruptions and be able to prioritize immediate and longer term work; experience planning multiple events at the same time
• Available to work some evenings and weekends; valid driver's license and willingness to travel (primarily in Kenosha, Racine, Milwaukee, and Chicagoland area).