The Senior Academic Transfer Advisor will serve as a primary, front line advisor to all prospective undergraduate students and provide the initial advising to newly admitted junior and senior level first-time undergraduate degree seeking students. Utilizing a developmental approach to aid student success, will assist students with identifying academic goals through major exploration, developing academic plans, and making appropriate course selections. Will also independently coordinate and manage assigned programs or processes related to academic transfer advising and make strategic decisions.
• Provide academic advising and guidance to all prospective undergraduate students with any amount of hours who may or may not be ready to officially apply for admission to University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL). Support and participate in office involvement in on-campus and off-campus student events for prospective students.
• Advise newly admitted students on their transfer credits, academic requirements, first semester course selections, University policies and procedures to ensure a smooth transition to UHCL by serving as an advocate for students throughout their transfer experience up until census and they are fully transitioned to their assigned college professional academic advisor.
• Independently coordinate and manage one or more programs or processes related to academic transfer advising and also evaluate and develop new techniques for delivery and execution when necessary to improve processes.
• Serve as primary advisor to identified Hawk Connection participants and follow the communication plan in order to connect with students to ensure they are on track at their respective college, and foster a relationship so that students stay connected and informed.
• Maintain a collaborative relationship with college professional academic advisors to keep current on curriculum updates, academic processes, and university academic policies.
• Leverage available technology (PeopleSoft, EAB/Navigate, Academic Advisement Report “DPR”, Singularity, etc.) to supplement the academic advising process and to track student success initiatives.
• Actively engage in professional development at the campus, local, state and national level, continuously seeking to improve techniques and skills in the field of academic advising.
• Perform other duties related to academic advising at the college or departmental level as assigned.
Applications only accepted online. To apply, please complete the online application at www.uhcl.edu/jobs and attach a cover letter and resume. UHCL is an AA/EOE.
The policy of University of Houston-Clear Lake is to ensure equal opportunity in all its educational programs and activities, and all terms and conditions of employment without regard to age, race, color, disability, religion, national origin, veteran's status, genetic information, or sex (including pregnancy), except where such a distinction is required by law. Additionally, UHCL prohibits discrimination in all aspects of employment and educational programs on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Notes to Applicant: Full-time position with benefits. Pay range is $3,524.64 - $4,582.03 per month. Background check required.
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. Minimum of three years of work experience in academic advising in a higher education setting.
3. Must demonstrate service excellence.
4. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
5. Must have computer and technology skills, including Microsoft Office Suite experience.
6. Must be creative with critical thinking and listening skills and a strong attention to detail.
7. Cultural awareness and understanding with the ability to work with a diverse population.
8. Ability to organize and prioritize work.
9. Strong social skills with the ability to collaborate with others in a team environment. Must be an accountable and dependable team member.
10. Must be flexible and adaptive with regards to work.
11. Ability to understand/interpret policies and procedures.
12. Must be able to multi-task with frequent interruptions.
13. Ability to assimilate large amounts of information and recall that information frequently.
14. Must have knowledge of various approaches in academic advising.
Master's degree in the area of student personnel, counseling, higher education or communications field. Five years of experience in academic advising. Bilingual (English/Spanish)