The University of Cincinnati Pre-Professional Advising Center (PPAC) seeks a Senior Academic Advisor to join our team of Pre-Professional advisors who are engaged and committed to applying advising best-practices within a collaborative, diverse, inclusive and supportive environment that prepares students to become competitive professional school applicants. The PPAC is housed in Enrollment Management and provides specialized advising to all students through their full life cycle; from prospective UC students through alumni, on how to achieve their health and law professional-school goals. We provide guidance and programing to encourage students to explore and prepare for a competitive application to graduate programs such as law, medicine, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician assistant, dental, occupational therapy, veterinary schools, etc.
Grounded in teaching and learning, our advisors collaborate with students to:
• Promote student engagement in curricular and co-curricular experiences
• Foster self-directed learning and active reflection
• Assist in self-assessment and career exploration
• Encourage professionalism, ethical decision making and self-efficacy
As UC Pre-Professional Advisors, we aspire toward inclusive excellence which we define by leading with courage and compassion, treating everyone with dignity and respect, and enhancing the quality of life for everyone with whom we connect.
Advise current and prospective students about how to meet their educational, professional, and personal goals. May provide leadership for one or more student programs or services within a unit.
• Provide academic advising to facilitate students’ successful and timely educational planning and degree completion in alignment with their educational and career goals.
• Serve as advisor for a designated caseload of students through proactive outreach, support, and education. Develop a rapport of trust and accessibility with assigned students. Ensure accurate advice and quality support, contributing to persistence and a positive student experience.
• Monitor student progress and develop graduation plans in partnership with individual students. Provide information regarding curriculum, policies, procedures, opportunities, and guidelines for academic programs.
• Evaluate student information and utilize data to facilitate enrollment and registration. Maintain advising and enrollment records. In partnership with faculty, assess advanced standing credit, substitute courses to meet graduation requirements, and create degree audit exceptions. Facilitate and/or complete degree certification.
• Evaluate student needs and provide appropriate resource referral to career, academic, counseling, and student life resources and opportunities.
• Support students through educational transition processes (e.g. orientation, exploration, transfer, transition, and graduation).
• Recommend actions related to academic alert, probation, suspension and dismissal of students. Identify opportunities for high-performing student engagement and goal attainment.
• Utilize current advising and student success technologies for outreach to students.
• Support student needs with sound equity and inclusion practices for student success.
• Engage in ongoing professional development and training to maintain up-to-date knowledge about advising practices, policies, technologies, and student success needs at the university and in higher education.
• Function as a member of an advising or student success team to ensure the proper workflow and outcomes of the unit. Collaborate with UC advising community colleagues to advance quality advising practice.
• May lead a programmatic area of oversight and planning for a student success program or function within a unit. Conceptualize, develop, implement, and evaluate the program. Train new academic advisors and other unit staff on key student service functions.
• Recommend policy to best meet student needs.
• Attend related meetings and functions.
• May teach one or more college-level courses each year.
• May provide direct and/or indirect supervision to student workers and/or ambassadors (i.e., hiring, evaluation, disciplinary action, scheduling, etc.) May advise student organization groups.
• Perform related duties based on departmental need. This job description can be changed at any time.
To apply and learn more about this position visit UC Jobs.
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati embarks upon its third century – building on the past and defining the future by leading urban, public universities into a new era of innovation and impact through its strategic direction, Next Lives Here. Underscoring the power of creativity, ingenuity, invention and inclusion, what’s Next will accelerate our unrivaled momentum, evidenced by eight straight years of record enrollment and rankings that include placement among America’s top 100 public universities by U.S. News & World Report. Home to a diverse student body of nearly 47,000 and more than 4,200 distinguished faculty, the university combines its Research 1 (Very High Research Activity) Carnegie Classification with a physical setting that The New York Times recently acclaimed as “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.
• Competitive salary range of $43,000 - $49,000 for this role, depending on the candidate's experience.
• Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
• Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
• Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
• Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
• Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
• Enjoy discounts for on-campus activities and services.
Susan Roth, Director Pre-Professional Advising Center
University of Cincinnati https://www.uc.edu/preproadvising.html
Online Application required: https://jobs.uc.edu/job/Cincinnati-Sr-Academic-Advisor%2C-Pre-Professional-Advising-Center-OH-45201/786593800/