The Student Service Advisor (SSA) is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Director of Retention for the College of Adult and Graduate Studies (CAGS). The SSA guides and assists CAGS students toward successful degree completion and attainment of educational goals. This position is a key component in the retention and persistence of students. While the position is in Lakewood, CAGS students are located in varying regions both inside and outside of Colorado. As a result, this position requires high levels of accurate and concise communication (email, phone, and in-person, depending on the student’s location). A polished, professional demeanor and appearance are required. Hours may vary depending on student need and may include evenings and weekends.
- Answer student questions via phone, email, and in-person advising appointments (depending on location); documents details in student’s record. Sample topics include: course registration, financial aid, academic progress, transfer credits, life/school balance, available student resources, faculty concerns, and other student needs.
- Initiate outbound calls to students to assess early intervention needs, build advisor/advisee relationships, ascertain obstacles to course completion or registration, and proactively and persuasively challenge students to successful continuation and academic excellence.
- Analyze, organize, and update reports, spreadsheets, and templates for effective time management, data integrity, efficient student communication, and trending student retention.
- Interpret and analyze student data in order to proactively contact students and achieve monthly retention goals.
- Partner strategically with other departments to facilitate and process time-sensitive student requests.
- Prepare and plan for future blocks/semesters; collaborate with colleagues on special projects; attend team meetings and training webinars/conference calls.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
With a heritage dating back to 1914, Colorado Christian University is committed to offering a complete education that develops students intellectually, professionally, and spiritually. Just a few minutes from downtown Denver, CCU is uniquely positioned to offer students a distinctive variety of educational opportunities and experiences.
Nature of Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, you may be required to walk, stand, sit, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, speak with clarity, and have appropriate vision and hearing capabilities. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Colorado Christian University expects all faculty and staff to become a part of the University community by participating in activities and events that occur on the campus throughout the year, which may occur during evenings and weekends.
- High technology proficiency; fluency in Microsoft Excel and Outlook.
- Comfortable with a high level of inbound/outbound calls; proven ability to articulate clearly and persuasively, yet professionally, with students.
- Displays self-confidence, patience, empathy, and availability when building rapport with students; understands and adapts quickly to multi-generational needs and characteristics.
- Creative, out-of-the box thinker who takes initiative to find solutions while clarifying and enforcing CCU’s expectations and policies.
- Flexible, adaptive to change, teachable; actively locates appropriate resources to assist with unfamiliar situations; comfortable asking questions, and recognizes and learns from mistakes.
- Maintains cohesive working relationships, views conflict positively, and operates with honesty and respect in all communication.
- Enjoys a high-energy call center-type work environment, maintains focus amidst unexpected distractions, and manages disruptions with professionalism.
- Previous advising, student service, higher education, public relations, customer service, or similar experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Bilingual speaking and writing proficiency in Spanish/English preferred.