VCU has an exciting opportunity for a Transfer Advisor! The Transfer Center is dedicated to providing advising services, transfer credit information, referrals, and support to transfer students through the transcript evaluation process. Services are provided to transfer undergraduate students through preadmission and transition advising; coordination of activities with Admissions and Orientation offices; and advocacy assistance in facilitating connections to the campus community.
In addition to demonstrating full understanding of VCU’s academic requirements and policies, responsibilities include:
- Evaluate and articulate incoming transfer credits.
- Enter approved transfer credits to students’ records in accordance with University policies and guidelines and practice routine verification of accuracy of data.
- Build relationships with advising representatives and students from the Virginia Community College System and Richard Bland College.
- Provide transition assistance through advising and programming to incoming transfer students.
- Work with continuing VCU students one-on-one and in small groups to provide advising support.
- Maintain communication with academic departments in order to accurately refer students to appropriate departmental offices, faculty, and support services for help with academic and personal needs.
- Provide service in person, by phone and via email to current students who have questions/concerns with transfer credits.
- Assist in other areas of the division as needed.
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Dr. Seth Sykes, email@example.com, 804-827-1349
A master’s degree is required. Applicants should have 1-5 years experience working with college students in a University setting. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Other qualifications include knowledge of VCU and VCU’s admission policies; ability to use office automation, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software, as well as SCT Banner; ability to provide clear direction and establish efficient priorities; excellent organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to multitask; ability to work well with others in the office and within the broader university environment; demonstrated ability to work independently. Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU is required.
A master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel, or a related field is preferred.