The Office of First-Year Initiatives at the University of Illinois at Chicago is seeking to fill the role of Visiting Transition Coach. The position facilitates the transition from high school to college by working directly with college-bound students prior to matriculation, during their first year in college and beyond. The Visiting Transition Coach will help coordinate a newer student-serving program, the Flames Leadership Network. The Visiting Transition Coach will focus on the socio-emotional and academic factors that contribute to student success; provide college, career and general support to students transitioning to UIC. The Visiting Transition Coach has a responsibility to participate in coaching, program reporting, and referrals to university support programs and other key university stakeholders and partners.
• Help with the logistics of coordinating the Flames Leadership Network including recruitment, maintenance of accurate student records, workshop development, implementation and assessment, and participate in the Flames Leadership network working-group on a bi-monthly basis.
• In collaboration with staff, develop and convene scheduled small group or individual sessions for students to build a network of institutional support.
• Managing a cohort of UIC students during the academic year, including summer prior to matriculation, in assessing non-academic needs, referring students to advising, academic supports and other services on and off campus. Monitor student progress and determine unmet needs of students served.
• Develop and execute events and opportunities related to student needs.
• Provide positive role model and build positive rapport with college-ready/college-bound students, particularly first-generation students in order to create a positive post-secondary experience.
• Coordinate with appropriate university personnel in the linking of support services for students. Provide a level of advocacy for students as appropriate and always in collaboration with campus partners. During the first year at UIC, develop professional, collaborative, and reciprocal relationships with all students’ academic advisors.
• Represent the office to local high schools, community partners, and campus departments in conjunction with internal and external partners.
• Maintain accurate and up to date records.
• Participate in planning and engaging in the Summer College Program as a means to support incoming students as related to the Flames Leadership Network/Office of First-Year Initiatives.
• Additional duties as required.
For fullest consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three references online https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=127181 by February 5, 2020. Questions can be directed to Gerardo Jimenez, Director of Operations, at 312-413-8516 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Gerardo Jimenez, email@example.com
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two years of related experience required.
Preferred experience in higher education, social services, student support services, or closely related field. May travel up to 40% of each week within Chicago and near suburbs may be required. Master's degree preferred. Preferred knowledge of UIC, local schools, local communities, and web-based resources. Prior experience working with first generation or economically disadvantaged population is desirable. Strong commitment to customer service. Strong oral (presentation) and written communication skills; bilingual skills a plus. Ability to work cooperatively with staff, students, families, and the community.