Academic Advisor (PRN27296B)
Categories: Not Region Specific
|School of Business
|University of Utah
|Aug 16 2021 10:55PM
|Oct 16 2021
Advises a diverse population of students in regards to their academic planning and progress by utilizing professional advising and guidance skills. Interprets and explains university academic policy and procedure to assist students in making decisions concerning personal educational goals leading to graduation.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN27296B 01420 - Advising (Sch of Business)
COMPENSATION: $40,000/yr. - $45,000/yr.
1. Meets with students to provide information and guidance on academic-related issues, such as graduation requirements and exceptions, major exploration, course planning and registration, transfer credit evaluation/substitution or advanced degree requirements.
2. Facilitates students’ academic progress by evaluating their needs and developing appropriate educational plans. Makes referrals for students who need assistance with overcoming learning obstacles, specialized tutoring, extended or intensive assistance with career decisions or similar needs.
3. Develops and presents education programs designed to supplement or enhance academic preparedness.
4. Collects and disseminates information to students, faculty and departments about changes in major requirements or University policies and adjusts advising strategies as appropriate.
5. Coordinates and/or participates in the advising-related portion of new/transfer student and parent orientation sessions.
6. Maintains students’ academic files that include a record of the advising activity that takes place during each visit.
7. Serves on University committees and makes recommendations that affect curriculum requirements, advising processes and program development and published materials.
8. Coordinates data compilation, statistical reports and correspondence, depending upon the area of assignment.
9. May plan and participate in continuing education for advising staff.
10. May supervise lower level advising staff and/or student employees and participate in hiring, training and evaluating those employees.
TO APPLY, VISIT: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/121136
Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency required. Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required. Previous experience in an advising, counseling or teaching environment is preferred. Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Previous experience in an advising, counseling or teaching environment is preferred.