The College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources at the University of Nevada, Reno seeks to fill a full-time administrative faculty position as an Academic Advisor. This newly created position will be an integral component of the University of Nevada, Reno and the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources (CABNR). The position reports directly to the Director of Advising, Recruitment & Retention in CABNR. The Academic Advisor will advise students on a variety of issues including but not limited to, transition and adjustment to the University, setting goals, developing an educational and personal plan, providing referrals to campus resources, selecting and scheduling courses, students at risk or in academic difficulty. The Academic Advisor will also work closely with the students and faculty advisors on academic progress and curricular issues. Works independently to provide information and interpretation of clearly defined policies, procedures and regulations. Receives direction regarding more complex issues and/or programs. The Academic Advisor will assist the Director with retention, advising and recruitment activities as needed.
60% - Academic Advising
- Advise incoming CABNR freshmen and transfer students and educate, interpret, and implement academic rules and requirements and current academic advising information
- Serve as the primary academic advisor for freshman and sophomore students and work with designated faculty on the advising of junior and senior level students
- Provide individual and group student advising
- Assist with preparation of advising materials for new and transfer student orientation
- Generate and process necessary forms (Change/Declaration of Major, Exception forms, etc.) and route to Admissions and Records
- Remove advising holds in MyNevada to allow students to register for courses once they have completed required advising
- Collaborate with faculty advisors on requests for exceptions, course waivers, and on articulation issues
- Develop plans for current students on Academic Probation or facing Dismissal; complete all required forms related to Academic Probation and Dismissal
- Attend all university advising functions as a representative of CABNR (freshmen honors advising, New and Transfer Student Orientation, etc.)
- Foster good working relationships with academic representatives in other colleges within the university and with the Advising Center for Undecided Students to allow for enhanced communication to facilitate transitions for new and continuing students
- Assist as liaison between CABNR and numerous campus offices including, Admissions and Records, Academic and Support Services and other academic colleges
20% - Student Retention and Recruitment
- Coordinate retention activities and data analysis for retention efforts
- Assist the Director of Advising, Recruitment & Retention in CABNR with planning, preparation and participation in off and on campus student related activities, i.e., class presentations, College Welcome Event, etc.
- Assist to the Director of Advising, Recruitment & Retention in CABNR with the advisement of the CABNR Ambassadors program (student volunteers that assist the CABNR Student Center with recruitment and retention efforts) including setting direction, identifying student roles, and coordinating activities
- Plan, prepare and participate in assigned retention related activities
- Participate in on-campus recruitment activities for CABNR including coordinating participation of student and faculty representatives, developing written materials and organizing a program for college sessions
- Provide information on Student Services’ resources to students and make appropriate referrals
20% - Program and Project Coordination
- Assist with the graduation verification process for CABNR in compliance with the Office of Admission and Records
- Prepare for graduation audits and consult with faculty and Admissions and Records to resolve issues
- Review each student’s completion of degree requirements and make corrections and changes within defined parameters to prepare documentation for gradation that is complete and accurate
- Create and maintain materials related to advising, such as the CABNR Advising Handbook, advising webpages, blog, etc.
- Provide training to peer leaders for advising, orientation and other outreach events
Required Attachment(s) Attach the following attachments to your application
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for Three Professional References
- Please write a brief statement (one page maximum) about how you would contribute toward our mission of creating a culturally inclusive environment in the role for which you are applying.
- Please write a brief statement (500 words or less) describing your advising philosophy.
The College of Agriculture, Biotechnology, and Natural Resources (CABNR) is a founding college of this Land Grant University. The College has a long and distinguished record of fulfilling the tripartite mission of teaching, research, and outreach programs benefiting the health and economic vitality of Nevada.
For questions, please contact: Juana Reynoza-Gomez, (775) 784-6323, firstname.lastname@example.org