Job Title: Academic Advisor
Job ID: 22457
Location: School of Professional Studies
Full/Part Time: Full-Time Regular/Temporary: Regular
For over 15 years, the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) has been leading online education in New York. Notable for offering the most online bachelor’s and master’s degree options at the City University of New York, and for serving transfer students as the University system’s only undergraduate all-transfer college, CUNY SPS meets the needs of adults who wish to finish a bachelor’s degree, progress from an associate’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, and advance in the workplace or change careers. The School’s growth has been remarkable, with twenty-four degrees launched since 2006. Enrollment has risen by more than 30% in the last four years to over 4,000 students in the credit-bearing programs. Thousands more are enrolled in non-degree and grant-funded workplace learning programs. In addition, the School has an active alumni network and has established the CUNY SPS Foundation, which offers multiple scholarship opportunities to current students. CUNY SPS has consistently been named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top online institutions. This year, the School was ranked in the top 2% in the nation on the publisher’s list of the 2021 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs. Reporting to the Director of Academic Advisement, the Academic Advisor will work as a member of an advisement team to provide proactive academic advising to support the success of undergraduate CUNY SPS students. To facilitate the transition of incoming students, the Academic Advisor will meet with incoming students to review their transfer credit evaluations and develop an academic plan to meet their degree requirements. Throughout the students' academic career, the Academic Advisor will continue to provide proactive advisement to support their students' progress to graduation. The Academic Advisor will ensure awareness of general college policies and connect students to support services as needed and work closely with academic departments and offices to maintain accurate information about programs and services.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
• Assists students with clarifying values and goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
• Offers academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
• Provides students with effective and timely referral to other college and external support services
• Monitors and evaluates students' educational progress by conducting academic progress audits
• Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
• May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
• Performs related duties as assigned.
CUNY TITLE Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience up $65,492. CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Maintain a student case load and provide proactive academic advisement according to degree requirements via in-person, phone, and Skype appointments
• Assist the Director of Academic Advisement with the transition of newly admitted students
• Assist probationary students to help them overcome obstacles to success
• Monitor progress towards degree completion and collaborate on special interventions with student services or career services
• Participate in retention specific projects such as early alerts, non-participation and obstacles to success
• Maintain and update student records and data accurately and timely in CUNYFirst and DegreeWorks
• Identify, recommend, and participate in professional development opportunities
• Conduct transfer credit evaluations and discuss specific academic plans with prospective students
• Coordinate and collaborate on initiatives, events, and programs that promote student persistence and progress toward degree completion
• Provide timely and accurate information to student inquiries
• Provide regular reports and accurate data regarding student case load
• Sustain an accurate, up-to-date body of knowledge about specific curricula in relevant areas
• Establish and cultivate relationships with administrators and faculty to ensure accurate and timely communication of student needs and inquiries
• Represent Academic Advisement at programs and functions such as student life events, recruitments, and graduation
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using Job ID# 22457 or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information. Please attach resume and cover letter.
CLOSING DATE June 29, 2021
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.