The Academic Advisor for Athletics reports to the Associate Athletic Director for Academic Services and Student Development. Serving approximately 520 student-athletes, the Office of Academic Services and Student Development provides guidance and counsel designed to assist student-athletes in making decisions associated with their academic and/or career experiences. This position assesses individual situations and circumstances and creates, implements and monitors recommendations that meet student needs. The office also serves as a liaison to the University’s academic and administrative community on behalf of the Northwestern University Department of Athletics & Recreation (NUDAR).
* Serve as core advisor to approximately 100 student athletes from a variety of sports, including football and possibly men’s basketball; closely monitor academic progress and personal adjustment throughout the first year and meet at least quarterly with non-first years.
* Advise student-athletes during quarterly registration for classes, monitoring for compliance to NCAA, Big Ten Conference, and University requirements. Meet weekly with coaching staffs and team administrators to share information on team members’ academic progress.
* Meet with prospective student-athletes to discuss the University’s philosophy in regards student-athletes and the support programs offered at Northwestern.
* Refer selected individuals to various campus support programs as needed in consultation with the Associate Director of Athletics for Academic Services and Student Development.
* Build relationships across campus to promote student-athlete welfare and community integration.
* When possible, attend athletic events to support student-athletes and develop maximum knowledge of each intercollegiate sport/team relevant to various assignments.
* Assist in other projects and programs at the request of the Senior Associate Director of Athletics.
Apply through the following link: https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr857prd_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&SiteId=1&FOCUS=Applicant&JobOpeningId=45341&PostingSeq=1
Northwestern requires all staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website. The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.
Benefits: At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness: Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities, and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles. We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth & Development: Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.
For consideration, current employees must submit an online application. For specific questions about this position, current employees may contact Gloria Young at firstname.lastname@example.org. External candidates should be directed to apply via Northwestern’s career site at careers.northwestern.edu