The First-Year Advising Center at Utah Valley University is excited to announce multiple full-time openings for academic advisors. This counselor role emphasizes advising practice that is holistic, proactive, and data-informed. We hope to employ individuals passionate about student success, who are excellent communicators that can build rapport quickly and maintain meaningful personal relationships with our first-year students. Strong applicants are engaging, fun, and willing to collaborate in a fast-paced, team-centered environment. We know great people are the backbone behind the success of our students, and we are looking for exceptional academic advisors to join our First-Year Advising team. This is a role where you will make a real difference in the lives of college students, empowering our students to succeed both academically and personally. UVU emphasizes “a place for you” no matter a student’s personal or educational background. This allows us to continue to grow and nurture our students, university, and your career. We believe in providing exceptional care to our employees and your total compensation should reflect this. Bring your passion and experience as we design the next generation of higher education experience and culture. Now is the right time to join UVU!
A summary of duties includes:
• Guide new students in their transition to college life through the development of meaningful educational planning, major selection, co-curricular opportunities, relevant academic information, and applicable campus resources.
• Support a student caseload using holistic advising approaches, proactive outreach, and data-informed strategy in an effort to assess potential roadblocks, take early action to mitigate them, and advocate on behalf of students.
• Utilize technology to monitor student risk trends over time, track student performance and progress toward graduation, and proactively reach out to students in need of intervention.
• Educate students on enrollment, registration, major selection, university processes, and new student success strategies.
• Engage in professional development and remain current in first-year and advising best practices and research in order to adapt and apply research and professional development related knowledge to work activities.
• Participate in department, division, and institutional goals and activities by assisting in the planning and delivery of programs and new initiatives.
• This is an on-campus position on the Orem, UT campus with the opportunity to work remotely one day per week.
Applicants should prepare a cover letter and resume to submit for the specific posting (no. 22299) on the UVU job website. The direct link: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/22273
Utah Valley University is an innovative large, public institution serving a dual mission as a community college and four-year institution, located in the growing metropolitan Salt Lake City region. UVU is an open-enrollment university on track to grow over the next ten years. Our access-driven mission places employees as key figures in the lives of adult, first-generation, and high financial need students.
Questions should be directed to Elaine Lewis, Director of First-Year Advising. Email: email@example.com; Phone: 801-863-4675