The Learning Specialist will provide structured academic support for undergraduate students in all disciplines at the university. The specialist will specifically work with students to improve study skills, learning strategies and time management. The learning specialist will provide academic coaching to undergraduate students. We welcome individuals with diverse experiences and backgrounds who will contribute to an already diverse community of faculty, staff and students.
The primary responsibilities and duties of the Learning Specialist include:
1. Meeting individually with students.
a. Assisting with time management
b. Study strategies
c. Appropriate referrals
d. Goal setting
e. Learning outcomes
2. Assisting with the development of CLC (Campus Learning Center) programming.
3. Assisting with CLC student staff training where appropriate
4. Developing materials to share with students and departments.
5. Create and present customized workshops for students, staff and faculty
6. Maintaining student visit records.
7. Actively following up with students to promote retention.
8. Performing other duties as required to promote the Campus Learning Center.
9. Teach assigned Student Success courses.
10. Assisting in other areas of Student Success as needed.
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.