Undergraduate Academic Advisor
The George Mason University, Department of Criminology, Law and Society (CLS) invites applications for an Undergraduate Academic Advisor. The CLS Undergraduate Advising team is committed to supporting the education of the whole student and integrating student life with learning. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment. About the Position: This full-time position is part of a team of undergraduate advisors that works together in advising all CLS majors and minors (approximately 1700 students). Advisors are each assigned an individual student caseload.
• Provide academic advice and guidance to prospective and current undergraduate CLS students from admission to graduation in support of the students’ academic and career goals:
o Support and engage students in the process of developing clear and attainable educational goals;
o Effectively interpret, implement, and communicate Mason degree requirements, deadlines, policies and procedures;
o Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) laws;
o Facilitate new student orientation advising sessions for freshmen and transfer students.
• Maintain student records to reflect current academic standing with regard to the undergraduate degree requirements:
o Keep current on continually changing curriculum requirements;
o Learn new advising technologies as required by the college and university;
o Work closely with the Registrar’s Office to ensure accuracy of degree audits.
• Support undergraduate program and department operations as needed:
o Represent the CLS department at admissions fairs and advising events;
o Communicate student needs, concerns, and requests to the Undergraduate Coordinator and Director;
o Collaborate with offices across campus to support students’ academic programs (e.g., Office of Global Education and Career Services);
o Provide administrative support to Undergraduate Coordinator as needed.
Special Instructions to Applicants: For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02904z at https://jobs.gmu.edu by June 30, 2021; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university or an equivalent combination of education and experience; • Demonstrated experience in academic advising, student career counseling, or providing student support within a higher education setting;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Demonstrated interpersonal and presentation skills;
• Detail-oriented, organized, and ability to multitask;
• Ability to work independently, and as a member of a team;
• Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Master’s degree;
• Knowledge of university academic policies and procedures;
• Experience with advising technology/programs (e.g., Ellucian Banner, Degree Works, EAB, etc.).