Participants will complete in-depth readings, post replies to discussion boards, and complete quizzes and other assignments. Participants can work at their own pace within each week. There will be weekly assignments but no set time to be online. Participants will have the entire week to complete that week's content, which could be completed in several days or done during the week as their schedule allows. By offering this information in an online format, participants are provided a learning opportunity that can be accessed either in their own home or office, and at a time of day that works best for their schedules. Assignments, including discussion posts, quizzes, and readings will be required each week.
The eTutorial is 3.5 (3 1/2) weeks in length. Participants should expect to spend between four-eight hours per week completing the reading, posts, and assignments.
This eTutorial is structured in a manner that allows the participants to develop an international network through interaction with other members of their cohort through virtual chat rooms and discussion boards.
Moderators will be assigned to assist those taking the eTutorial by posing questions for discussion, sharing successful practices, and answering questions.
Weeks 1 & 2: Exploring the Scholarship of Advising
- Definitions and scope of Scholarly Advising and the Scholarship of Advising
- Articulating researchable and analyzable questions for inquiry (both humanities-based and social science-based)
- Situating existing and future inquiry within a research agenda (impact, context, theory)
Weeks 3 & 4: Planning for Scholarly Inquiry
- Critical areas of inquiry within the Scholarship of Advising
- Refinement of researchable/analyzable questions
- Development of scholarly action plan
Each week will include an assessment component including questions covering material and participation in topical discussions.
Upon successful completion (70% or better within the eTutorial) of all 3.5 weeks, the participant will receive a certificate of completion suitable for framing.