The VAP learning outcomes complement the NACADA core competencies and provide opportunities for advisors to share expertise in conceptual, informational, and relational areas. Individuals who participate in a VAP will develop awareness, knowledge, and skills reflected in the following learning outcomes:
• Develop awareness of global advising issues in relation to local practices.
• Transform their advising practices to reflect the latest trends and best practices.
• Assess diverse perspectives on global advising practices.
• Gain knowledge of norms and cultures of other countries and institutions and their educational systems.
• Increase awareness of one’s own values and culture framed by increased intercultural awareness and competence.
• Gain international work and/or research experience.
• Develop knowledge through mentorship to support career advancement.
• Create new opportunities for continuing collaborations.
To be eligible for this scholarship the applicant must:
Be a current member of NACADA, and have been a member for two years.
Have a letter of support from supervisor.
Have a letter of support from a host institution.
Have worked as an academic advisor for two years with a minimum of a half-time appointment.
Previous VAP Scholarship recipients are not eligible. Current members of the Global Initiatives Committee and the Board of Directors and Council are not eligible for consideration for this award. Virtual VAPs are eligible for scholarships to cover conference fees and In-person and Hybrid VAPs are eligible for scholarships to cover travel and conference fees.
To apply for the VAP scholarship, please submit the following:
1) Personal essay.
2) Letter of support from your supervisor.
3) Letter of support from host institution.
Scholarship application HERE.