February 3-4, 2020
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans Downtown Marriott | 859 Convention Center Blvd.
Advising Seminar: Summit on Academic Advising and Student Success at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs)
Co-Sponsored by NACADA: The Global Community for Academic Advising, the NACADA Historically Black Colleges and Universities Academic Advising Community and Complete College America.
This Summit will bring together administrators at all levels, faculty, academic advisors, and student success personnel to discuss the issues that may be unique to HBCUs in regard to effective academic advising and student success. There will be plenary sessions presented by nationally recognized experts in the field, concurrent sessions discussing successful programs and initiatives presently in place at historically Black institutions, and opportunities to network and work with participants to develop plans for actions at campuses following the Summit.
Who Should Attend:
- Faculty Members
- Researchers and Assessment Staff
- Primary Role Academic Advisors
- Student Success Coordinators
- Others interested in the success of all students
- Melinda Anderson: Interim Associate Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, Elizabeth City State University, North Carolina
- Nia Woods Haydel: Dean, University College & Director, Thompson/Cook Honors Program, Dillard University, New Orleans
- John Igwebuike: Interim Provost & Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, Alcorn State University, Mississippi
- F. Janelle Hannah Jefferson: Ombudsman/Special Assistant to the Provost-Division of Academic Affairs, Jackson State University, Mississippi
- Charlie Nutt: Executive Director, NACADA: The Global Community for Academic Advising, Kansas
- Kimberly Smith: Assistant Provost, Academic Advising Initiatives, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia
- Yolanda Watson Spiva: Complete College America
- Farrah Jackson Ward: Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Elizabeth City State University, North Carolina
- Tara Warden: Assistant Vice Provost, University of Cincinnati, Ohio