Provide comprehensive academic advising for incoming and current students on general education, program requirements, and institutional policies. Guide students in academic exploration and the processes involved in major selection. Work closely with the Testing Coordinator, in implementing and proctoring Accuplacer and Avant placement exams, for all incoming and current students. Contribute to development of departmental resources, to assist advisors in delivering quality advising services, designed to meet the needs of diverse student populations. Continually resolve student inquiries and concerns, to ensure satisfaction and success in the educational experience.
1. Advise assigned student caseload and drop-ins on academic requirements, policies, and classes specific to their educational needs.
2. Maintain confidential student files and records, documenting all pertinent academic information within the university systems, while upholding FERPA regulations.
3. Assist with university/departmental retention efforts through building and maintaining advisee relationships, by tracking progress and continual outreach/early intervention.
4. Assist with student worker training and supervision.
5. Respond to student concerns/inquiries, and refer students to appropriate campus resources, including counseling psychological services.
6. Update student files and maintain workflow in Perceptive Content, the document imaging system.
7. Maintain data in WEB UI Colleague, the student database system.
8. Serve as an essential resource for exploratory/undecided students.
9. Monitor and assist in development of Academic Advisement webpages with current information on programming, academic policies, and services available.
10. Aid in coordination/implementation and proctoring of placement testing (virtual and on campus) sessions for all new and current students.
11. Process forms as needed, including Transfer of Credit Clearance and the Transfer Credit Contestation forms. Update existing and build new articulation agreements with numerous colleges and maintain database in the Transfer Evaluation System (TES).
12. Assist with all summer advising activities in relation to new student events/orientations, including placement testing, presentations, collaborating across departments, and advising students from several disciplines.
13. Work with advisors on the creation and presentation at Academic Advisement Success Sessions (virtual and on campus), throughout the academic year.
14. Assist the Academic Advisement & Study Away Director with the coordination and implementation of the annual Study Away Fair. Guide students interested in study away-both domestic and international.
Please apply through MSMU Human Resources Career page for this vacancy: https://www.msmu.edu/about-the-mount/university-offices/administration--finance/human-resources/employment-opportunities/
Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles is a small private Catholic university that offers a dynamic learning experience in the liberal arts and sciences to a diverse student body. https://www.msmu.edu/
For additional information regarding MSMU or this position, please visit www.msmu.edu
For further assistance, contact email@example.com
Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum 2 years of experience in an academic setting, preferably in academic advisement or an academic affairs office.
- Effectively organize, prioritize, and handle multiple tasks to meet established deadlines.
- Exercise sound judgment and decision-making.
- Discretion with confidential information.
- Analytical, detail-oriented, and accurate.
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to, the needs of a small, private, and diverse university environment.
- Ability to easily build rapport and work well with diverse student populations.
- Customer service orientation. Present information accurately and clearly to students, MSMU colleagues, and constituents.
- Ability to collaborate and form connections with colleagues.
- Strong oral/written communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Computer and data entry skills.
- Innovative and creative.
Master’s degree in Higher Education, Psychology, or related fields preferred. Experience with Study Abroad students preferred.