Position is responsible for facilitating the tutorial and academic support sessions for all student-athletes.
Responsibilities for the Tutor Coordinator include facilitating the tutorial and academic support sessions for all student-athletes. These duties include all recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating, and supervising of tutorial staff; as well as timely scheduling of all appointments to support student-athlete success in the classroom. The position will work closely with each member of the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes staff of academic counselors who are required to coordinate services for the respective students. The Tutor Coordinator may also work one-on-one and work with small groups of students to provide assistance in their academic transition to college and facilitate learning by providing academic coaching in areas including study skills, time management and organizational skills through their college careers. General supervision will be provided by an Associate Director of the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes (ASPSA). The program is located in the ASPSA under the Provost’s Office. Evening and weekend work is required.
Applicants should submit on the UNC Human Resources site a letter of application, curriculum vitae, response to question(s), and the names and contact information of three (3) references by January 23, 2022. Please find this posting at the following link: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/218415
“The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.” Please review the Recruitment Resources guide from the UNC-CH EEO Website for questions about sources http://eoc.unc.edu/files/2014/09/Diversity_Recruiting_Sources.pdf
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Starting date is projected for May 2, 2022.
Alicia Brandon email@example.com
• A Post-Baccalaureate degree (or foreign degree equivalent); for candidates demonstrating comparable independent educational or instructional activities related to tutoring, supplemental instruction, or direction of programs that enhance educational experiences of enrolled or prospective student, will accept a relevant Bachelor’s degree (or foreign degree equivalent) and 3 or more years of relevant experience in substitution.
• A Master’s degree and a minimum of 1 year of experience working with student-athletes in an academic support program, in an educational setting, or with undergraduate in a 4-year college or university setting; or a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience working with student-athletes in an academic support program, in an educational setting, or with undergraduates in a 4-year college or university setting.
• Knowledge of best practices in undergraduate student retention and familiarity with issues related to student-athletes’ academic progress and transition issues.
• Nightly and weekend work required, all year round.
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated effectiveness working collaboratively with staff and colleagues.
• Experience working with diverse student population and at-risk students.
• Preferred experience coordinating academic support and/or tutoring program(s) in post-secondary setting.